Toxic Algae and dogs

Bear7771

FNG
Lost my baby to toxic algae in my own pond this weekend. Just wanted other dog owners to beware. Took 20 minutes from first sign till she was dead. I was in the process of trying to clean it out and made the mistake of letting her swim in it.
A71EC2D1-D880-4F35-87F4-48FB995B2D01.jpeg

Lost my baby to toxic algae in my own pond this weekend. Just wanted other dog owners to beware. Took 20 minutes from first sign till she was dead. I was in the process of trying to clean it out and made the mistake of letting her swim in it.
View attachment 464512
I'm sorry. That stuff is no joke. We've had multiple warnings this year in my neck of the woods.

That sucks, man! I'm so sorry! What type of toxic algae are we talking here? We have some blue green algae up here in the summer, but I've never seen any other type. What kind of symptoms?

So sorry for your loss.

Where do you live? We hear about in Missouri but usually only in warmer months, though I think lack of rainfall (which we have right now) contributes to it.

Yoder

WKR
I'm really sorry to hear that. They are almost like your kids. Thanks for the warning.

Sorry to hear that!

I stopped letting my lab swim in my pond months ago. I won't let him swim in it again until we get some rain, and it flushes the pond out good.

KurtR

WKR
blue green algae scares the shit out of me. I am always on the side of caution at the end of the summer. That sucks sorry about loosing your buddy

OP
Bear7771

Bear7771

FNG
Blue green algae isn’t always blue or green. Had the Health Department out taking samples today. If you have any algae in a pond it’s best to keep your dogs out

OP
Bear7771

Bear7771

FNG
So sorry for your loss.

Where do you live? We hear about in Missouri but usually only in warmer months, though I think lack of rainfall (which we have right now) contributes to it.
In NW Washington.

I'm so sorry that happened. That stuff scares the hell out of me and not knowing what is safe and what isn't.

OP
Bear7771

Bear7771

FNG
That sucks, man! I'm so sorry! What type of toxic algae are we talking here? We have some blue green algae up here in the summer, but I've never seen any other type. What kind of symptoms?
Don’t know for sure which algae it is. The health department said their test doesn’t even test for all of the ones that are fatal. She stumbled and my wife said she doesn’t seem right. 10 minutes later she lost her ability to stand. Another 10 minutes and she was dead

TSAMP

WKR
Pics of the pond? I always worry about this myself. Sorry for your loss man.

OP
Bear7771

Bear7771

FNG
Pics of the pond? I always worry about this myself. Sorry for your loss man.
Don’t really have any recent pics. It looks a lot different now that I’ve been pumping water out

Damn Dude, My Heart Bleeds for You

seen so Wonky Stuff, ...but really never think We'll be that Scenario