Toss it or eat it?

What do you guys do with the “brown” meat in this picture? This is off an antelope that went into a cooler and ice as as soon as humanly possible. It doesn’t smell bad just looks bad. Do y’all eat it or trim and toss it? It’s not too bad on a hind quarter picture here but I hate trimming it off of the back straps as it takes a lot of meat off them…it pretty much mirrors my knife strokes in the field so is this just oxygen getting to the meat??

Just started processing on my own so please don’t be too hard on me! LOL

Attachments

• 15A597B6-8211-46DB-ADE2-42458C8E4F3C.jpeg
    15A597B6-8211-46DB-ADE2-42458C8E4F3C.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 223

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
It's fine. The meat turns brown where a muscle is cut, if it's exposed to air or water. I bet if you cut a bit you'll find it's superficial.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
If it's just a one off steak, I will sometimes trim it off because I'm kind of a hypochondriac when it comes to questionable food. When I find a bunch, I just eat it because I'm also kind of lazy.

With all the freaky diseases going around in wild game these days I trim back anything that doesn't look and most importantly smell right. Like @Danny Hoey said, I trim back with filet knife sparing as much good meat as possible.

I'm also in my late 40s and my bowels are much more irritable than when I was younger... ;)

With all the freaky diseases going around in wild game these days I trim back anything that doesn't look and most importantly smell right. Like @Danny Hoey said, I trim back with filet knife sparing as much good meat as possible.

I'm also in my late 40s and my bowels are much more irritable than when I was younger... ;)
I have zero concerns about that meat being diseased. I just don't feel the need to eat oxidized meat if I don't have to. Meat will turn brown on the edges in the freezer too. I trim them the same way.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
It is just oxidized, either eat it as is or throw in the grind pile.

Trim it off with a fillet knife and cook it for your dog, not wasting the protein that way. I'm finicky about eating oxidized meat, even though I know it's fine.