Torn

Blasey

FNG
So I've been on the hunt for a nice used recurve for quite some time. In the last month or so been looking online for hours per day. Right now I am torn between three bows and am looking for advise. I'm really attracted to the Black Widow PMA/PSA lineup. But I also find myself looking at the Stalker Coyote quite often. Then whenever I see a Blacktail I take two steps back and look into them as well. I need a longer bow. I'm 6'3" and pull 50lb's@31". All of these bows cost relatively the same. Can any of you guys point me in a direction and explain why?

Sapcut

WKR
Not a ton of help here but I have only one bow. In 2007, I got a BW PSAX [email protected]. I have nothing to share about the other two but BW bows are extremely good bows. Very tough and dependable. I have no idea how they stack up to any other bows regarding speed but that is fairly irrelevant to me.

OP
Blasey

Blasey

FNG
That's a good start, thanks for the reply. There is just something about the Widows that catches my eye. But the Stalkers and Blacktails are beautiful!

OP
Blasey

Blasey

FNG
Does your BW start to stack up a DL or is it smooth all the way? I guess the underlying question is if you pulled it back to 31/32" would it start to get super heavy due to draw weight?

Sapcut

WKR
Does your BW start to stack up a DL or is it smooth all the way? I guess the underlying question is if you pulled it back to 31/32" would it start to get super heavy due to draw weight?
Absolutely not. Zero stacking. Prior to getting my BW in 2007, I shot a much much inferior Bear bow that stacked horribly after 28". When I first got my BW, it it was so smooth that it almost felt like a release in weight after 28" but certainly does increase perfectly smooth. My inferior Bear bow exploded at 73#s at full draw in my palm. I make a living bowhunting and gathering with my weapon so no more cheap bow nonsense for me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I wanted a recurve I wanted to buy one so I did a lot of research in order to get the best. I ended up ordering a black widow psa greenleaf with the cooking grip.

OP
Blasey

Blasey

FNG
Are you happy with your PSA thinhorn? Do you have any first hand experience with the others?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you happy with your PSA thinhorn? Do you have any first hand experience with the others?

I don’t have the PSA yet, I should have it within a month or so. I’ve handled a PMA and shot a PSR quite a bit so I’m familiar with the black widow quality.

The ice thing about the pack widows (and any custom bow I suppose) is that you can get exactly what you want, you don’t need to make any concessions or settle for anything you don’t want. I went with the psr because I don’t like massive sight windows but wanted a bit of a longer bow than the PCA. I chose a 62” PSA, 55lbs@28” (I draw a bit over 29) and I got the green leaf pattern because it’s pretty green where I hunt. I didn’t get any fancy extras, just a moose laser etched on it. The real nice thing about a black widow is you have several grip options to pick from, I don’t think many of any other companies offer that many options. Initially I was going to get a standard grip which is what I ordered but ended up calling just the other day to get switched to a cooling grip.

Right now I have been shooting a bivouac backland with long bow limbs, also 62”, 55lbs @28”. It’s such a nice how I can’t say enough good things about it or bivouac as a company. I ordered it on a whim but it’s such a nice shooter I havnt even played with my other bow since I got it.

Btaylor

WKR
I had previously shot a couple different Black widows and they were both nice and shot well but I wanted to shoot a stalker before I recently order a bow. I ended up test driving a Wolverine recurve and a coyote acs longbow. Would have without hesitation ordered either Stalker over either of the BW's. Ordered the Coyote acs longbow. Cant speak to the Blacktail, havent shot one.

OP
Blasey

Blasey

FNG
Thank you for the comments. Does anyone else have any input? I almost pulled the trigger on an extremely nice Coyote today, but after talking with South it wouldn't quite meet my specs. To be honest I was impressed that someone so knowledgeable answered the phone - he answered every question without hesitation to the tee. At the end of the conversation I was flattered that it was South. That's some customer service beginnings right there..

Thank you for the comments. Does anyone else have any input? I almost pulled the trigger on an extremely nice Coyote today, but after talking with South it wouldn't quite meet my specs. To be honest I was impressed that someone so knowledgeable answered the phone - he answered every question without hesitation to the tee. At the end of the conversation I was flattered that it was South. That's some customer service beginnings right there..
Ya same reason I ordered a Toelke after talking to Dan. Can’t beat those type of interactions a long with a quality product

I have owned a Stalker Apex. Currently have two BW's. The Stalker was a great bow, I just struggled with it. Don't know why. Kept trying different things but I couldn't get consistent with it. I'm sure part of it was that it was lighter (43#) and my release is rusted up.

Have Pma and Psa. Both standard grip, they just seem to work for me. Haven't shot a Blacktail, Big Jim is another to consider if you haven't.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Both stalker and black widow have trial programs you can shoot bows before buying. Would highly suggest this option. Just recently tried both of these bows and greatly preferred the grip and weight of the widow over the stalker. Best of luck on the search!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have owned a Stalker Apex. Currently have two BW's. The Stalker was a great bow, I just struggled with it. Don't know why. Kept trying different things but I couldn't get consistent with it. I'm sure part of it was that it was lighter (43#) and my release is rusted up.

Have Pma and Psa. Both standard grip, they just seem to work for me. Haven't shot a Blacktail, Big Jim is another to consider if you haven't.

Big Jim bows get a lot of praise but the one guy I’ve known who bought one had a very frustrating experience and if I remember, it took like 15 months to get it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are black tails that great? Or are they just fancy and nice looking? They seem expensive for what you get.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ya same reason I ordered a Toelke after talking to Dan. Can’t beat those type of interactions a long with a quality product

If toelke isn’t the best company out there in terms of quality product and customer service then they are in the top 5 for sure. A guy could buy a Whistler and never need another bow.

So I've been on the hunt for a nice used recurve for quite some time. In the last month or so been looking online for hours per day. Right now I am torn between three bows and am looking for advise. I'm really attracted to the Black Widow PMA/PSA lineup. But I also find myself looking at the Stalker Coyote quite often. Then whenever I see a Blacktail I take two steps back and look into them as well. I need a longer bow. I'm 6'3" and pull 50lb's@31". All of these bows cost relatively the same. Can any of you guys point me in a direction and explain why?
Widows have a reputation for being a little stacky for guys like us with longer draws. Otherwise, they are very good bow and a good investment that holds their value so I'd never try to talk anyone out of owning one.

My latest and most likely final traditional archery acquisition is what I grew up considering the "holy grail" of traditional hunting bows - the Bear Takedown. I found a riser in excellent condition at a reasonable price, and bought a brand new (yes, they still make them) pair of 50th anniversary limbs to go on it. Very quickly, this bow has become my #1 go-to traditional hunting bow. I can have literally any trad bow I want and have had many over the years but the Bear Takedown is all that and a bag of chips. If you can afford one, I'd add it to your list (even though you didn't ask).

BTW, I also draw 50-ish at 31" if that helps.