Toprut No Longer Hosting Google Earth/KMZ Files

jonesn3

It looks like TopRut is no longer providing files for Google Earth (KMZ files) due to relationship with OnX. What's the next best option?

The "Unit Maps" tab on the Toprut webpage simply redirects you to OnX Maps.

I wish I would have downloaded all the unit datasets last year instead of only the half dozen or so for a particular region of interest. Does anybody have a Google Drive or Dropbox link they'd be willing to share the RAW Toprut KMZ files if they have them saved? I would be willing to do the same for the handful of Idaho units I have saved (again, just the raw files from Toprut).

OP
J

jonesn3

Yes, if permanent that really sucks. However, I will say that I seemed to rely on Toprut KMZ files mostly for the best quality game unit boundary and public land layers. I get contours, roads, fire layers, and more from other sources. So maybe not as dire a situation as I thought initially.

I was able to find a decent and seemingly accurate public land layer for several states at DIY Hunt Maps: https://diyhuntingmaps.com/p/google-earth-hunting-file-downloads.html . I am sure there are better offerings elsewhere utilizing ESRI Shapefiles or whatnot. The DIY unit boundaries layer they offer was not great and did not appear complete. So, I went through the painful process of creating my own KMZ for unit boundaries, elk zone, and unit/zone labels. It took a few hours last night but worth it in the long run.

Maverick1

Well Known Rokslider
TTT. Anyone know of a place that has similar information to the datasets once hosted/supplied by TopRut? (Yes, the information is "out there" - somewhere - but collecting it from the different sources would take some time. Looking to import into GE, information such as roads, unit boundaries, etc.)
@wapitibob

OP
J

jonesn3

Treeline Academy (aka. Mark Livesay) just launched a Google Earth toolkit for ID, CO, MT, and WY. This looks to be what Maverick1 was looking for as a one stop shop for all data in GE. There is a fee though, and I’m unclear if that limits your usage of the data year after year if you don’t pay for a continuing membership. I plan on trying it out but can’t offer a review yet. If it’s anything like Marks E-Scouting course, this should be really good.

inquisitiveram

I had the same question so glad you asked it here. I have about 15 Idaho unit KMZs downloaded from TopRut into GE before they stopped offering them. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!