Too early for black bears?

I have a bear hunt planned for the end of May this year. That being said, I was entertaining the thought of trying to squeak out a hunt ahead of the one already planned.

For those of you that have hunted the absoraka beartooths in montana or Wyoming in the spring, is may 4th through 7th cutting it close as far as access, snowpack, etc? Doable? I've hunted western MT in mid April and felt it was too early by a couple weeks on the year I was there. Any local advise on conditions that time of year would be helpful. Thanks!

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in southwest Montana and there is a bunch of snow. I’ll be out every weekend after it opens, but I don’t expect to see much until late may and plan on a bunch of snow shoeing. I should go hunt turkeys and wait, but I want to get into the bear woods.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bear hunt planned for the end of May this year. That being said, I was entertaining the thought of trying to squeak out a hunt ahead of the one already planned.

For those of you that have hunted the absoraka beartooths in montana or Wyoming in the spring, is may 4th through 7th cutting it close as far as access, snowpack, etc? Doable? I've hunted western MT in mid April and felt it was too early by a couple weeks on the year I was there. Any local advise on conditions that time of year would be helpful. Thanks!
Is early May the best time? Nope. But you definitely wont see one if you stay home! Just like all the advice you read about sleeping in when you're bear hunting, dont bother getting in the woods till 10 am, bla bla bla. Sure, its not the best time, but you'll never kill something from your sleeping bag. I personally would never pass up an extra opportunity to be in the spring bear woods. Just my two cents. I've never been in the area you're talking about either tho, and have no idea about snowpack and access

OP
B
Is early May the best time? Nope. But you definitely wont see one if you stay home! Just like all the advice you read about sleeping in when you're bear hunting, dont bother getting in the woods till 10 am, bla bla bla. Sure, its not the best time, but you'll never kill something from your sleeping bag. I personally would never pass up an extra opportunity to be in the spring bear woods. Just my two cents. I've never been in the area you're talking about either tho, and have no idea about snowpack and access
I appreciate the response and tend to agree, however time is something of a limited commodity for me and if I have to allocate it to a different portion of the season I'll try to do so!

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the response and tend to agree, however time is something of a limited commodity for me and if I have to allocate it to a different portion of the season I'll try to do so!
Yeah, time is pretty precious. I took it from your op that the earlier hunt might be in addition to a later one, but if it would be taking time away later on I can totally understand not going. Maybe some locals will chime in👍

OP
B
I'll have to see how my schedule ends up but it looks like I'll be able to go first week of May or first week of June but not both!

I think the key part of Bear season is the imergence of vegetation. Southside exposure on slopes, hillsides and creek bottoms. The nightmare is that the northsides will likely have head high drifts.

For the Absorkees, remember the elevations climb steadily to the southern border. Much of that is over 10,000. What thaws in April on the west side, may not stop snowing until end of May. A resonable thaw may not be till June. Have fun but don't get hopes too high till somewhat later.

mpb21

FNG
Im planning to go out each day I can sneak away but Im going to save my extended trip until the back end of May. Lots of snow in the hills!

I'll have to see how my schedule ends up but it looks like I'll be able to go first week of May or first week of June but not both!
High elevation bear hunting is a bit of a coin toss, too early and access sucks, but when the snow starts to melt, the bear habitat is very defined… bear will be hitting those little green pockets, and when you glass one up a mile and 2 canyons away, you can get over there and expect the bear to come back out in that little green patch, and probably the next day and next

Later, you have a lot more feed and boars cruising for sows… now you spot that big boar, he’s feeding quick across the hill, feeds into the trees, and you never see him again.

It’s a tough call and depends on what sounds more fun to you, and what the bear population is like where you are going.

So often in the big mountain country, you see a bear, and by the time you get into range he’s long gone, it can take a couple hours of hard hiking to get within range of where you last saw him.

Late and early both have pros and cons

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
Spring comes a month earlier in NW MT….average elevation of 3,500, just a thought

If you bait; being a little early isn’t a bad thing. If you’re the only good food source around, the bears will scramble to get to your bait. On the other hand, if you’re too early, the bait just sits there and rots which is bad.