To Move Or Not To Move, By Jeff Lund

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
this is article is a gem!!!! lots of juicy advice there Jeff. Glad I read it and really liked the other hunters input that you included.

This: "In a way, limited options can be beneficial because it should necessitate a deeper focus on hunting Plan A the way it should be hunted rather than looking for excuses to move on."

That is so applicable to hunting big mule deer...

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Good read. I typically approach my Option A spot with a "burn the boats" mentality. The one line in here is my exception to this rule "The biggest factor in moving to Plan B is other hunters".

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I couldn't even read the article because there were ads jumping all over that page, constantly. Which is odd, because I use AdblockPlus and it blocks all the ads on every other webpage I use.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't even read the article because there were ads jumping all over that page, constantly. Which is odd, because I use AdblockPlus and it blocks all the ads on every other webpage I use.
I just read it on my phone with no ads, may be on your end. Great article, as a newer deer hunter I think i stay put too much and have found some whitetail success when I explore. Need to stop thinking of spooking deer as always a negative and treat it more like learning where they are for next time, since whitetail pattern a bit more.

Reactions: MJB

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a moose hunter primarily. I've hunted blacktail on Naked island, north of Montague. Little grey ghosts they are.
But I needed a moose to feed our family. Plan A, stay in the game. Move about an area doing calls quietly and still hunt during the day. Search sign.
Moose come from miles out and the smarter ones are cautious. I'll break off devils clubs leaves, they turn yellow soon. And hang a couple in a willow branch to sway in the wind. Looks like a small bull. Along with cow in heat calls often n kinda soft. Like a rookie. This speeds them up a bit.
I have a remote part of AK to myself and have been able to spend months at a time watching the local game. The wolves are the wild card. Doing calls n hear a couple wolves making a drive into the wind. Small yipes every so often.
Then it becomes wolf season. Hey wouldn't be wolves without moose.
I've been blessed to listen to them make a kill at night and the pack party down. Within a hundred yards of the front porch of our cabin. Lynx fight, viscious. Very possible to the death n eaten with lynx .
Winter is another world. Deep snow, I pretend to trap n play around. I'm out.
To move or not to move. Get to know the area you hunt and never give up.

One thing I know we all struggle with at some point while hunting is when to move on to plans B, C, or D. This article by @alaskalund gives some great insight into what some experienced hunters consider when faced with that decision.

To Move Or Not To Move
Eastern whitetail we here. I’ve hunted here long enough to know what the deer are about to go to next. For example early season (Sept) we hunt the ag field edges where they pop out. Not long after that (Oct) the acorns start falling and we watch them for first use. Then the rut begins and we move accordingly to the known doe hangouts and funnels.

That said I don’t like hunting the same set in an a given area more than once. Doesn’t take long for our mature deer to pattern the hunter.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
this is article is a gem!!!! lots of juicy advice there Jeff. Glad I read it and really liked the other hunters input that you included.

This: "In a way, limited options can be beneficial because it should necessitate a deeper focus on hunting Plan A the way it should be hunted rather than looking for excuses to move on."

That is so applicable to hunting big mule deer...
Robby is spot on.