Tips for Midwestern Fall Turkey

Hey y’all, as a mid-30-year-old I’ve been bitten by the hunting bug.

I’ve always been fascinated by hunting but had no family members to introduce me. Last summer I connected with an old friend who avidly hunts all game and—after taking my first whitetail with him in November—I can’t wait to get out again.

And so I’m planning to chase turkey in my home state of Indiana this fall. I have sufficient firepower and apparel, but still need to get my hands on some decoys and calls.

Aside from gear, what are some simple methods and advice that you’d give to a completely novice turkey hunter? I’m persistent, curious and patient…but my turkey skills end there.

No advice here but I hope you get some responses. Im of a similar age and same state hoping to get into turkey hunting this fall for more time in the woods. I've been researching and it certainly is a lot to take in. It appears more complicated than I had thought with all of the different hunting methods, calls and decoys.

OP
coreman103
Nice. Planning to scout a little bit this weekend (and also just get out into the woods) so I will give you a report.

baz77

WKR
Bust the flock and call them back in or just watch the fields and see where they are feeding ...turkeys are pretty predictable when it comes to feeding patterns.

dtrkyman

WKR
Not a fall hunter but if I were I would definitely try and bust up a flock, they get really talkative not too long after!

Otherwise get some boots on the ground and cover some country, oak flats dropping acorns are a good place to start looking around.

Find the roost and set up nearby. Preferably along the route the turkeys take towards it. Call softly, scratch in the leaves a bit. No decoys needed.

Or... As was mentioned, find the flock, bust them up and try to call one back. Learn how to yelp and kee-kee.

They're pretty tuned up to any kind of movement so be ready and move decisively when you need to.