Tipping

longtail

FNG
If your guide is also the owner/outfitter/land owner and your hunting there private family land and your paying the average cost of a hunt for the area and species, do you tip them the same as what you would tip a normal guide?

I enjoy giving gifts and I’m a firm believer in treating others how you want to be treated and it seems good Customer service can be hard to come by so I am more than happy to give someone a gift if they go above and beyond to help me and show me a good time but when your already paying someone thousands of dollars is it necessary to pay them more?

Doesn't matter if it's the owner or a brand new guide. If they do a good job they would get the same tip

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
It matters....the Outfitter get the lion's share regardless....if they perform BOTH duties, your call, but it def matters in my book.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
If they are pulling double duty as the outfitter and guide then yes you should tip, every time so long as they did their part. Success putting an animal on the ground can't be guaranteed, but if a guide gives it his all busting his balls trying to get you on animals then that's what's important. Factor another 10%-20% of your total hunt cost as just part of the bill in order to go on the hunt. At the end of the day it's part of their livelihood. The only exception to this is if your guide/outfitter is just terrible and doesn't even try, but that's a rare occasion.

If they are pulling double duty as the outfitter and guide then yes you should tip, every time so long as they did their part. Success putting an animal on the ground can't be guaranteed, but if a guide gives it his all busting his balls trying to get you on animals then that's what's important. Factor another 10%-20% of your total hunt cost as just part of the bill in order to go on the hunt. At the end of the day it's part of their livelihood.
Totally agree. Plus if it's a great hunt you would want to make them happy & invite you back. You're on private land & not competing with 50 other hunters.

OP
L

longtail

FNG
So Im kind of torn on my thoughts on this and makes me ponder the whole concept of tipping in general. The majority of the time I think we feel or have been accustomed to believe that our waiter,bartender,hair dresser,etc is not the owner of the business and is underpaid therefore we like to give them extra. If I knew a guide was a college student or young guy hired by the owner and working his butt off and does a fantastic job then I totally understand that. But if a guide is also the owner and hes already getting thousands of dollars, aren't we already paying them to do the job we are hiring them for?

WCB

WKR
So Im kind of torn on my thoughts on this and makes me ponder the whole concept of tipping in general. The majority of the time I think we feel or have been accustomed to believe that our waiter,bartender,hair dresser,etc is not the owner of the business and is underpaid therefore we like to give them extra. If I knew a guide was a college student or young guy hired by the owner and working his butt off and does a fantastic job then I totally understand that. But if a guide is also the owner and hes already getting thousands of dollars, aren't we already paying them to do the job we are hiring them for?
might want to search the threads on here about tipping on guided trips...been discussed at length. Tipping in general is a personal decision. As far as tipping the owner...I'm am with you on the idea that he is already making the money off the hunt and doesn't have to pay a guide for you. So if a guide makes $500-$600 a week that is automatically in his pocket above his normal cut from the hunt. Hell I have told customers that who were apologetic for only having a couple hundred bucks to tip at the end of the week and I was just guide trash.

Any owner of an operation that I have been guided by very clearly said do not worry about tipping them and take care of the extra staff (cook, camp jack/wrangler, etc.).