Ahead of time I shipped my pilot an alligator skull I took here locally. Feel like that means more than cash. Maybe I was wrong. Was also owner / operator. Price your shit right.l was my thought. I’ve taken lots of folks on different adventures and personally I much prefer the random gifts I’ve received way more than above and beyond additional cash. I’ve got a few nice knives and an o/u shotgun that come to mind. I’ll have them forever Cash comes and goes.

I did give his two helpers $100 each .

EDIT: just read some other responses. Damn. I feel like a cheap ass now.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I tipped our pilot $100 each on the flight in and $100 for each of the two meat hauls. Also $100 for the flight back to Fairbanks. He really did a good job helping us load meat, showing us moose on the flight in and communicating with us. I also gave him my 10mm ,two holsters ,and two additional mags as he had mentioned he didn’t have a gun for protection do to his house burning down. Our pilot said we really took care of him and that was before I he figured out that I left him my gun.

Thanks everyone for the advice, any Alaska residents have suggestions for a preflight gift to bring our transporter from the lower 48(Wisconsin) that may be hard to find up there? 10% tip sounds like a good starting point! Thanks

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
I've always shot for 10%. These guys literally have your life in their hands getting you in and out of wildly remote places. When I tip pilots I always seem to get the impression its a rare occurrence for them which is a shame! I think most of them would be plenty appreciative of whatever you can afford.

I am not opposed to tipping but with the cost you are already paying for this service, I’d a tip truly a necessity?

For full paid services, I look at tipping as a going above and beyond thing. I’ve given away many bottles of bourbon for excellent service but 10% for a fee I might be paying $3k for…yeah, I may not have that much money. Of course, I’m not paying $6-10k to hunt.