Tipping a guide?

ARod2000

FNG
Going on my first ever archery elk hunt in Colorado in a few weeks. I know our guides are going to work their butts off getting us close to game and I want to make sure they're compensated well. A) tipping is expected, correct? And B) what's a customary tip per day of archery elk hunting in the mountains?

Thanks all

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no expert but have researched and discussed with guides before. When I have had guided hunts, I shoot for 10% of the hunt cost. This may get split between guide and wrangler with the bulk to the guide. If you get a good guide, you will see them work long, hard days on your behalf and they are worth the $$$, in my opinion. Have a great hunt!

MattB

WKR
A recommended tip is typically 10% of the hunt cost for less expensive to moderately priced hunts (different rules typically apply for really expensive hunts like sheep hunts, etc.). Small amount for the wranglers, cooks, etc. is always appreciated.

Zbowman1

WKR
I dont know if this will help but I was a bush fishing guide for years in Alaska. Everything a guide dose from the moment they wake up to the time they go to bed is for you. Most make a small wage from the outfitter but depend on tips for the majority of their income. A base price for us while guiding was 60$ a day per rod which averaged out to about 4.50 an hour. Average tips were 100-125$ per rod per day. This might be like comparing apples to oranges but at least you have an idea. Also, dont give your guide "stuff" unless its in addition to the cash tip. Guides know what they want and get good deals on those things.