Tipi Tent Help: Best Two-Man Palace?

Thanks for the tips.

This tent will be used as a basecamp for two separate week-long hunting trips every year where a couple of us will essentially be car camping. These trips are what the “palace” aspect of this tent are for.

I may indeed be looking at two tents, though, based on the comments here.

Only my thoughts: For car camping 2x per year I would be very tempted to go with a more conventional cabin type tent with plenty of headroom. A vestibule would be nice but not mandatory. Stove jack and woodstove optional. Lots of interior space for the niceties you can bring in a vehicle. Throw in a big mat at the entrance to stand on while kicking off boots. I'd want a tent which had some degree of weather tolerance and could be guyed out for extra stability.

The second shelter would be for mobile backpack use. Floorless. Big enough for 2 hunters and their gear but no major wasted space.

Tigoat 6.75 is pretty good,a lot of room for 2 with stove.
4d4f14b836588b8697a8b4c56e2a27b1.jpg
73d3ebd23099d3aa1829ee33d6c69adb.jpg
cdb28b47483c89a10cfb81a94630de37.jpg
3fc8d3af8025c10e6167331917772085.jpg
12a500fda871c600d230f6d716f83fe4.jpg
958c6f0995ebf54543c76ee67b87e82e.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes 100%

Hey Reaper - I have a Gstove on order. Will reportedly arrive mid-March. Have seen some discussion in another thread about bottom vs top spark arrestors. It looks like you have the top-mounted arrestor (top of pipe) which is what I ordered as well. What has been your experience with it? Does it tend to plug easily? Have a feeling with the way the stove burns that plugging may not be an issue? I will be burning primarily dead and dry split lodgepole pine in camp.

Hey Reaper - I have a Gstove on order. Will reportedly arrive mid-March. Have seen some discussion in another thread about bottom vs top spark arrestors. It looks like you have the top-mounted arrestor (top of pipe) which is what I ordered as well. What has been your experience with it? Does it tend to plug easily? Have a feeling with the way the stove burns that plugging may not be an issue? I will be burning primarily dead and dry split lodgepole pine in camp.
No issues yet,always worked fine with the Gstove.I was nervous about it because with my titanium stoves,each times i used a top spark arrestor i got pin holes on shelters so i am only using the bottom screen.

I am tossed up between the Luna 6, Vertex 6.5 and Cimarron
Looking to sleep two with ultralight cots, some gear and at times a stove.
I dont feel like my sawtooth is ideal for that.

I am tossed up between the Luna 6, Vertex 6.5 and Cimarron
Looking to sleep two with ultralight cots, some gear and at times a stove.
I dont feel like my sawtooth is ideal for that.
Cimarron...2 doors,each one his door.Tigoat is really good but communication is AWFUL,i think he is more an oldschool guy so better talk to him in person or if you are lucky on the phone.My vertex is awesome,i really like the shape and having the stove jack on the back behind the center pole is perfect.

And when you stake out the perimeter as a mock up, remember that the 2- ft closest to the edge have very little vertical clearance.
JL

8 man or a 12 man.

I have owned two 8 man tipis and sold both for a 12.

if you really will sit on 2 chairs and stoke the fire while the cots are set up, the 12 is about it.

make a mock up by staking out some string around a post or pole. you will see what you need easily.

Vertex 6.75...more i use it more i like it.
dec85a93cb05b414c5f0123ce3bc8b8c.jpg
43af52dc19ba998805c60bec289512c4.jpg
453ae7ac42068ab42a8740a66853dbd5.jpg
ed260ef6e5c761cf3401d731f21095ab.jpg

I am tempted to buy this same model. I have trepidation as I wanted liners and they aren’t available. Planning on two Alaska trips the next two years an kinda feel like liners are must have.

also don't miss the fact that the snow has pushed in the sides of the above tipi and you are losing a foot all the way around.

I have had liners and sold them for the six man and 8 man. my bud demanded a liner for the 12 man so I have a half liner for it. the one time he was in it we had nasty conditions and lots of condensation that got knocked off of the sides by sleet and rain.

also don't miss the fact that the snow has pushed in the sides of the above tipi and you are losing a foot all the way around.

I have had liners and sold them for the six man and 8 man. my bud demanded a liner for the 12 man so I have a half liner for it. the one time he was in it we had nasty conditions and lots of condensation that got knocked off of the sides by sleet and rain.
Yeah heavy snow is a problem but i got this same problem with ALL my shelters,it was after 20cm of snow in the pictures,only have to push the snow by inside.

Luxe first picture,second is a seekoutside 4 man, heavy snow is a pita.
603741e1a4ecfbff87ba07b93ea1ac7c.jpg
558a831bbb6446b8bfed2a1b1b2b723b.jpg

A lot depends on your perspective. Almost everyone here comes from the hunting world. I am from the backpacking world where we sleep in tiny tents. In my world, my SO 4-man tipi is a hotel.

Having said that, if I were going to use cots, I'd go with the 6-man SO tipi.

Thanks for the tips.

This tent will be used as a basecamp for two separate week-long hunting trips every year where a couple of us will essentially be car camping. These trips are what the “palace” aspect of this tent are for.

I may indeed be looking at two tents, though, based on the comments here.
Essentially or will be? I had an 8-man SO tipi that I used for car camping and the occasional backpack trip. It was too much for one guy to pack, especially with a stove. I ended up selling it and the stove and bought a kodiak canvas 10x14 and a SO Cimarron. The tipis are great if you're packing in with 3-4 guys and you can distribute some weight and bulk, but for their cost they don't make a great basecamp, IMO, compared to the bigger canvas tents. And if you're using a standard cot, chairs, etc. you lose a lot of space in a tipi quickly.

That Kodiak Canvas is heavy as sin, but the farthest I'm carrying it is three steps from the back of the truck.

Back