Tipi stove

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Luke! After talking to Becca about how your guys' stove jack installation went Im pretty sold on the cylinder stove. Still going to bother SHTF to see his because I like geeking out over titanium

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA.....TI is cool stuff but spendy. Heck I have a TI rifle and that thing wasn't cheap. That said the weight difference between stainless and ti shim stock for a stove body can be applied to other places to upgrade items in your with all the $$$ you'd save over stainless. Just something to think about.

HAHA.....TI is cool stuff but spendy. Heck I have a TI rifle and that thing wasn't cheap. That said the weight difference between stainless and ti shim stock for a stove body can be applied to other places to upgrade items in your with all the $$$ you'd save over stainless. Just something to think about.
yes and no, it depends on where the rest of your gear is at. theres not many items in my pack that they make a lighter version of regardless of cost

luke moffat

Super Moderator
yes and no, it depends on where the rest of your gear is at. theres not many items in my pack that they make a lighter version of regardless of cost

Very true. However, I still have quite a few places I could save weight. I realize most on here don't, I was just thinking of me personally.

Mike7

WKR
I have a TiGoat Vortex (size large) Titanium Stove that I have used enough now over the last several years to conclude that it is pretty bomb proof. It does have to be set up correctly however which is a little bit of a learnig curve at first (it will go together and function even when not set up correctly). I am sure I could sit on mine without any problem when put together correctly (haven't done it though). The only things that I don't like about the stove, happen to be things that I don't see the other newer stove designs correcting, except for maybe the Shepards Stove. The longer cylinder stoves (EdT, TiGoat) have tempted me based upon their wt and capacity, but the doors are still very small, and I'm guessing that my current stove is much sturdier?

My Vortex stove will burn for 1/2 hour and warm up any shelter that I have put it in, but then needs to be loaded again (hey, it is a backpackable stove though). It will hold coals for about an hour anyway if there is a good coal bed. The size of the door limits the diameter of logs one can use. Otherwise the door works really well. I have to carry a small screw driver to easily put together the stove. A person could lose the little screws for the stove I suppose during setup/takedown, but I have never lost any yet.

What I would buy in a heartbeat:
A Shepard's Stove in Titanium (ingenious design it seems by the way) that has about the same dimensions as the current stove, except being about 20 inches long (just not sure if the body of the stove at that size would be stable enough?). Now, that would be a stove that would have the cu in to allow long burn times and easy loading of larger chunks of wood through that larger front door. Until something like that happens, I will probably just stick with my ole' TiGoat Vortex Box Stove.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
i can get around a 2 hour burn time mixing green & dry wood in my 22 inch vortex & i do melt water on it but have to be carefull with how big a pot you use or it will wrinkle in the middle.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Luke! After talking to Becca about how your guys' stove jack installation went Im pretty sold on the cylinder stove. Still going to bother SHTF to see his because I like geeking out over titanium

Come on down anytime C4. Happy to have you out. Will throw the Tipi up and Stove and you can get a good feel of how it works. Just give me a heads up on the site so I can get it ready for you.

OP
Timberghost
Thanks for your input guys. I emailed tigoat and they said the larger version of the wifi stove should be up on their website this week. He told me the dimensions would be 8" wide, 15" long, and 10" tall. I know most of you said the larger the better but do you think that larger wifi would suffice in a 6 man tipi in cold conditions? Or should we be going after something 20 to 22 inches?
Keep it together, rob.

Mike7

WKR
Thanks for your input guys. I emailed tigoat and they said the larger version of the wifi stove should be up on their website this week. He told me the dimensions would be 8" wide, 15" long, and 10" tall. I know most of you said the larger the better but do you think that larger wifi would suffice in a 6 man tipi in cold conditions? Or should we be going after something 20 to 22 inches?
Keep it together, rob.

Timberghost, for comparison, my Large (actually the middle sized stove for them) TiGoat Box Stove which is 7x8.5x15 inches, heats my TiGoat Vertex 7.5 (which is only slightly smaller than a Kifaru 6 man tipi) without any problems with decent wood (at temps above 15 degrees anyway). The only issue for me is that I have to load it every 1/2 hour if burning it on high with the dampers open. Not a problem though if you are just using it to warm the tent to go to bed or get up.

It sounds like Big fish BC is able to squeeze 2 hours out of his larger TiGoat XL Box Stove but it is twice as heavy and has over 2 1/2 x's the cu in as mine. Trade-offs.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can get a pretty long burn time in our seek outside XL stove and have coals in the morning. Expecting to heat a light weight shelter all night is not realistic even with a pretty large stove. There are a lot of variables but the big one is insulation. That being said, a stove that goes together easy, is very lightweight , offers a lot of draft control and easy loading of fuel is a really good thing.

OP
Timberghost
Mike7, thanks for the comparison. The new tigoat wifi will be just a hair bigger than your stove. So should work adequate. I do not expect an all night burn at all. Just want the comfort of a nice fire and be able to dry shit out when the typical mountain weather hits. Plus starting a fire to get dressed in the early hours sure would be nice.
The new wifi seems like the perfect package. Very light mid size stove.

What kinda lengths are you guys running on stove pipe?. I am figuring around 100 inches. Is that accurate?
Keep it together, rob.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
Timberghost, for comparison, my Large (actually the middle sized stove for them) TiGoat Box Stove which is 7x8.5x15 inches, heats my TiGoat Vertex 7.5 (which is only slightly smaller than a Kifaru 6 man tipi) without any problems with decent wood (at temps above 15 degrees anyway). The only issue for me is that I have to load it every 1/2 hour if burning it on high with the dampers open. Not a problem though if you are just using it to warm the tent to go to bed or get up.

It sounds like Big fish BC is able to squeeze 2 hours out of his larger TiGoat XL Box Stove but it is twice as heavy and has over 2 1/2 x's the cu in as mine. Trade-offs.

my trade off was clothes,because i can get long burn times, i can dry clothes no prob in my 4 man tipi overnight so i take allot less clothes now than i used to.i have used the tent & stove down to -10c with no worries to keep it warm.

OP
Timberghost
Bigfish, good info. I know I took clothes on our sheep hunt last year that never came out of my pack. So this year they will be left at home for sure as we will have the stove to warm up and dry stuff out.
Pound of clothes for pound heavier stove. Trade offs like mike said.
Keep it together, rob