Time for an upgrade

Loughgear

FNG
Alright so last few days I’ve been searching through the forum for answers and I've knocked a few questions off my list. Current setup is a vortex impact 850 range finder and pair of leupold bx-1 McKenzie binos. My girlfriend got into hunting last year with me so this year she's inheriting my current setup and I'm gunna be upgrading. Cabela's currently has the leupold full draw 4 on clearance for 649 since the 5 is coming out and I've had my eye on it for awhile but after reading some reviews of them crapping out after minor use and leupolds warranty program not the greatest, kind of has me on edge about buying. the vortex razor hd 4000 is another option (699) and I've only seen very few bad things about this rangefinder so that kind of has me leaning towards it plus there warranty is second to none. There's a dealer for athlon not far away either and they have there 1 mile rangefinder (349) instock and its significantly cheaper still then the other two options has red display, angle compensation, but I've yet to see any comments here on it. I spend most of my time with a bow in hand if that matters. Onto binos, my two choices I've been looking at are either the athlon chronus g2 10x42s (639) and I seen Nikon has released a new monarch m7 also in 10x42 (Cabela's has for 769 but can get out of states for 700 after shipping, duty, and exchange) , I've seen quiet a few reviews saying that chronus are very good for there price point but I've yet to see anything on the new monarch m7 I've read few reviews from birders but nothing from hunters yet more curious about low light conditions with them, But I'm also open to other options. I'm in Canada so things cost quite a bit more trying to keep the binos around 700$ and also the rangefinder. Thanks

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
The Razor 4000 is an awesome range finder, my last 3 range finders had electronic failures after several years in the field and essentially were junk since there was no warranty on the electronics any longer. I love my Razor and it also has great glass and when hunting in thick timber I use it instead of carrying binos.

The guys at camera land talked me into the athlon cronus 10x42s after calling asking about an upgrade, they’re a huge upgrade compared to the Vortex diamondbacks I had. I also got them for $420 shipped which seemed like a steal.

I have the full draw 4, i’ve only taken it to the range a few times so I can’t speak on its durability, midwayusa has the full draw 5 for $499.

I guess my advice here is don’t buy from cabela’s because their prices seem much higher than others 😂

Gone4Days

WKR
Keep your current stuff until you have enough saved for alpha glass. If you are already upgrading, I guarantee you’ll upgrade again. I know, it happened to me. Save up for some used SLC 10x42’s or EL’s, etc

Last edited:
OP
L

Loughgear

FNG
Appreciate all the reply’s so far! I’ll hopefully get a chance to call you Doug this evening if your around, that’s kinda what I was thinking also be able to use razor as monocular while white tail hunting generally pretty tight and back in the bush regardless of we’re I am hunting them. I forgot to mention I’m in Canada so while it seems expensive 499 turns into 700$ quite easy after exchange rate, tax and shipping unfortunately. I also have a gift card for cabelas that would take care of quite a bit of a rangefinder. Used is almost out of the question unless I find some local which is very rare, not that I don’t trust the majority of people on here seem very honest, but that kinda money used I wana be able to see and hold in person. I have looked through a set of swaros last year friends dad has a set and they are very nice don’t get me wrong and I can quite easily afford them. Id rather put that money towards other things why I’m looking a mid tier glass.

OP
L

Loughgear

FNG
Ended up ordering an athlon 1 mile range finder I havnt had anytime to call Doug unfortunately and it checked all the boxes for me at quite a bit less cost, hopefully be able to do a review on it after this years hunting season to possibly help others make a decision on it, I’ll be hopefully giving Doug a call when I comes time for binos and a spotter