Tilt Tamer

Good to go? It seems like a good idea but I would like to see a more failsafe coupling. More of on the line of bow model specific.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, have to be cautious with bows that have string stoppers. The cables will drag against or hit the string stopper once cabelas are allowed to move to the center of bow at full draw.

trkyslr

WKR
A more fail safe version is the bent rods that bearfoot Archry is selling on AT. I got one and really like it. No moving parts, all one piece, and a lot less expensive then a tilt tamer. Plus it works with my tightspot quiver which a tilt tamer won't with out a bunch of adapters

OP
Brandon Pattison
This product will change the industry, mark my words. I am actually excited about it. I just spoke to Bear Foot on the phone and the Hoyts won't be available for another month.

A more fail safe version is the bent rods that bearfoot Archry is selling on AT. I got one and really like it. No moving parts, all one piece, and a lot less expensive then a tilt tamer. Plus it works with my tightspot quiver which a tilt tamer won't with out a bunch of adapters

As I'm looking at this from my phone, and have no idea what ya'll are talking about.... what is this product for and how does it work? :)

Mike

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike, it replaces many companies factory cable gaurds/slides. They Tilt Tamer has a pivot point you can set to an angle to fit your particular bow. The Tilt Tamer allows the cables to move more laterally towards your grip at full draw in an effort to eliminate torque caused by the cables traveling backward.

http://www.tilttamer.com/

trkyslr

WKR
This product will change the industry, mark my words. I am actually excited about it. I just spoke to Bear Foot on the phone and the Hoyts won't be available for another month.

Agreed... It's so simple and effective you would think all now companies would switch to it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are certain bow companies that will not allow it on their bows for the pro staff tournament shooters. Also it does not fit all bows, so until it does that, I don't see it catching on that much. It has been around some time now, and there was nearly no one shooting them during this years competitive tournament season in California.

trkyslr

WKR
Rosinbag, aren't you or shouldn't you be chasing Nevada bucks in the backcountry rt now? ;-)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nevada opens up on the 10th....But leaving on the 8th for NV and there until 16th....Travel day to CA and hunting there thru the 26th..

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Could be useful on some bows with torque & left tear (through paper) issues. However, most risers that torque badly feature roller guards. Changing a roller guard out for one of these will seriously mess up your force draw curve so your bow will not store as much energy. Some bows are designed with the side load (torque) in mind so removing that load will actually cause the riser to flex improperly out of plane which could actually make tuning and accuracy more of an issue. I used to heat up and shape stainless cable guard bars so they would achieve the exact same thing - or grind carbon bars to allow them to flex. Several manufacturers are doing this today on their cable systems to achieve a similar effect. I don't ever recall missing a shot because of cable guard torque in my bow so I don't see a big impact or market for it. There are some instances where it would be useful for tuning such as a left tear through paper. Reducing bow torque will help in that regard. Tim Gillingham used to deal with that on many of his setups so I can see why he would consider it useful.

DC

ckleeves

WKR
Could be useful on some bows with torque & left tear (through paper) issues. However, most risers that torque badly feature roller guards. Changing a roller guard out for one of these will seriously mess up your force draw curve so your bow will not store as much energy. Some bows are designed with the side load (torque) in mind so removing that load will actually cause the riser to flex improperly out of plane which could actually make tuning and accuracy more of an issue. I used to heat up and shape stainless cable guard bars so they would achieve the exact same thing - or grind carbon bars to allow them to flex. Several manufacturers are doing this today on their cable systems to achieve a similar effect. I don't ever recall missing a shot because of cable guard torque in my bow so I don't see a big impact or market for it. There are some instances where it would be useful for tuning such as a left tear through paper. Reducing bow torque will help in that regard. Tim Gillingham used to deal with that on many of his setups so I can see why he would consider it useful.

DC

I have been thinking about this lately and you are the perfect guy to answer my question!
Ok here you go, my question is slide vs roller with the 2010 vs 2011 matrix as an example. I have owned both, and they were within 2 fps of each other so what is the advantage of a roller? Just less serving wear?

Also take the alpha max vs the maxxis ,or crx and I prefer the draw cycle of the am compared to the other 2 but their ibo speeds were all close. Plus they tune easier IMO.

So back to my original question how is there no speed loss with the slide on the 2010 matrix? Is it just the long ata (compared to most bows today) that makes the rollers less effective at loading the limbs during the draw? Sorry, I think about little things like this I might have a problem I'm not sure lol.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been thinking about this lately and you are the perfect guy to answer my question!
Ok here you go, my question is slide vs roller with the 2010 vs 2011 matrix as an example. I have owned both, and they were within 2 fps of each other so what is the advantage of a roller? Just less serving wear?

Also take the alpha max vs the maxxis ,or crx and I prefer the draw cycle of the am compared to the other 2 but their ibo speeds were all close. Plus they tune easier IMO.

So back to my original question how is there no speed loss with the slide on the 2010 matrix? Is it just the long ata (compared to most bows today) that makes the rollers less effective at loading the limbs during the draw? Sorry, I think about little things like this I might have a problem I'm not sure lol.

This is actually a great question... There is VERY little if any real performance gain from a roller guard system over a traditional cable slide. You see a noticeable difference in static hysteresis measurements (energy in vs. energy out) when drawing the bow and letting it up, but very little change in efficiency dynamically when the bow is shot. This is because the dynamic coefficient of friction (when the bow is in motion) is much less than the static coefficient of friction (when it's drawn & let down). Hoyt tested roller guard systems several times prior to their recent introduction with negligible gains and often times lower performance and efficiency. The new limb (XT ARC) was the first time we saw worthwhile performance gain using a roller and this was in the 1 - 2 fps range. Longer bows have less friction because the angle of the cables is proportional to the side load on the cable slide - therefore you see less friction on longer ATA bows. Constraining the cables with a roller guard adds additional torque into the equation and this was very obvious on some bows that adopted them as evidenced by severe riser twist through the draw cycle.

There may be some peace of mind gained knowing that the rollers are a little less susceptible to getting gummed up in the field than a traditional cable slide (sap, rain, dirt, etc...) and possibly a 2 fps performance increase. Roller guard bows may tune a little differently than their predecessors, but should not be particularly more difficult to tune or draw. IMO the difference between the 2010 matrix and current is more about the cam design 2012 RKT vs. 2011 Fuel vs. 2010 XTR... The RKT is a little smoother overall with a gentler transition into the valley with equivalent performance to previous generations.

The real advantage to a roller is marketability - it's seen as a feature by consumers because they have been marketed so heavily by other companies. They do some things better than a traditional CG bar, but there are also trade-offs like cost and additional torque.

Hope the explanation helps shed a little bit of light...

DC

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great explanation Coop.....I personally have had lots of trouble tuning the roller guard Hoyt's, so much I called Darin several times looking for help. Obviously he is 100 times the bow mechanic I am and I thought I tried everything and still couldn't get them to tune the way I wanted. I did get a CRX to tune, but blew a string up and once replaced could never get that tune back. After trying three different Hoyt's with rollers, I went back to my AM35 and it tuned perfect after setting it up with perfect center shot, nock square and limbs bottomed out. It also only took about 3 arrows.

The roller guards are great for marketing, but I really think they induce so much more torque than I want in my bow. If I ever get another, I am going to take a trip to Idaho to use Darin's wrenches as they obviously work better than mine.

I have a tilt tamer on a Hoyt vector turbo. Got the bow like that. It shoots lights out. And I use a Tightspot quiver with no problem