Tikka UPR 20” 308 On the Way

I haven’t seen a lot of fan fare for the UPR but it’s got a lot going for it so I ordered one.

CTR barreled action

20 MOA rail already installed

Trigger that can go from regular pull to very light

Threaded barrel

Stiff stock with adjustable cheek piece

Anyone else got a UPR? I’ve heard they are shooters just like the CTR.

Kimmo H

FNG
I bought a T1X 22LR UPR. The stock is nice shape and very light, and the 22lr shoots great with certain ammo. I have since switched to a KKC stock on the T1X, as I use that stock on my other T3X guns and its nice to train shooting offhand with the 22LR with similiar ergonomics.

I'll be using the UPR stock for a very light weight 223 build I'm starting soon due to its light weight and excellent sling stud system.
I've shot a 6,5cm UPR and just like most Tikkas it shot great even with factory ammo.

Long story short; You'll love it.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be using the UPR stock for a very light weight 223 build I'm starting soon due to its light weight and excellent sling stud system.
How is your .223 UPR build coming along? Are you using a .223 CTR action and a UPR stock? Is the UPR stock from a T1x or a T3x? Are any modifications required to make the .223 action fit the stock?

Kimmo H

FNG
How is your .223 UPR build coming along? Are you using a .223 CTR action and a UPR stock? Is the UPR stock from a T1x or a T3x? Are any modifications required to make the .223 action fit the stock?
I have an order in for a Lite SS model, but it has yet to arrive. I got a message that the gun was ready for pick up, but they accidentally sent a blued one and not a stainless, so I didn't take it.

The UPR stock is from a T1X. I took off the plastic barrel inlet that is used with the t1x, removed the regular sling studs and plugged them with flush fitting torx head bolts. I also fitted the regular bottom metal to use the stock plastic mags. I used devcon to bed and fit the bottom metal, as the UPR is inletted for CTR bottom metal. I also slightly modified the grip from the palm side, rounding the shape just a little to make it more comfortable.
It is now sanded and painted with primer, waiting for the Lite SS to arrive. I'll bed the action to the stock and paint the stock after with some kind of camo pattern. The stock looks interesting without paint btw.

Attachments

• 20230221_110503.jpg
    20230221_110503.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230221_170941.jpg
    20230221_170941.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 64

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer stainless as well, good call. That looks like a fun project, I'm impressed. You'll have to post pictures when it's done!

Kimmo H

FNG
I prefer stainless as well, good call. That looks like a fun project, I'm impressed. You'll have to post pictures when it's done!
The Stainless Lite finally arrived. I cut the barrel down to 17", threaded it M15x1 for use with a suppressor and also made a brake for it just out of curiosity. The stock is painted olive green and black spider web. Grip is taped up with grit tape for a bit more texture.
Topped of with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 for now, but that will likely be changed out to something that works in mils instead.

Sorry about the OT, but thought to post this here as the project was previously discussed here.

Attachments

• 20230617_120451.jpg
    20230617_120451.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230617_122349.jpg
    20230617_122349.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 42

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
You are talented, it turned out beautifully! It sounds like you did all the machining yourself. Not to mention the stock customizing. Very impressive!

How does it shoot? What is the purpose of this build? What is the finished weight?

There is another thread for pics of semi custom Tikkas where you may want to post about this project as well.

Kimmo H

FNG
You are talented, it turned out beautifully! It sounds like you did all the machining yourself. Not to mention the stock customizing. Very impressive!

How does it shoot? What is the purpose of this build? What is the finished weight?

There is another thread for pics of semi custom Tikkas where you may want to post about this project as well.

It shoots well, early stages of load developement at this point shows some promise with 68gr and 75gr Hornady BTHPs. 3 shot groups around 0.35moa, 5 shot around 0.5moa. I have to bed the UPR stock before using it more though, as there were some odd horizontal flyers shooting with it without bedding. Those went away with another stock, so we'll see how it goes after bedding the whole action on the upr stock.
My stock by itself, with the steel picatinny and LOP spacer installed weights 915 grams.
The whole build is 3,7kg with the brake on, and just under 4 kilos with the can. Bipod was off during weighting.

I bought this as a carry with me rifle for hunting purposes, trying to keep it compact and light, yet easy to shoot out to ~300m. Not 100% sure if I end up using the brake or the can. The gun is a beauty to shoot with the brake, nearly nonexistent recoil but the noise is quite bad. It is light though and very effective. I'll post this on the Tikka thread after bedding it and making sure it will be how I use this rifle ;)
What does a UPR stock weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answered above.

Here is a pic of the brake in action. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the small front ports fill up after the first chamber. I might taper it down to the barrel OD for some extra weight loss and overall aesthetics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618_193751_Video Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618_193751_Video Editor.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 17