Tikka T3X CTR factory barrel in a Superlite stock?

bharv2221

FNG
Is it possible to put a factory CTR barrel in a Superlite stock? I'm guessing you would have to trim the stock opening a bit but is there any other reason this would not work?

sdupontjr

WKR
I couldn't get use to the original CTR stock and preferred the Lite stock. I ended up buying the stock here on the site, the plastic bottom metal from Mountain tactical and I had a spare L mag lying around. One additional thing you will need if the mag retention spring for the Lite style mags to work. Other than that, open up the channel and rock on. I also removed the rail, to lighten it up some and used the new UM tikka rings.

T3T3XMRS.jpg

OP
B

bharv2221

FNG
Thank you for the responses! So did you replace the barrel and action? My plan is to buy a Superlite and a separate CTR barrel. Then swap the original Superlite barrel. Sounds like you had the CTR first and put it in a SL stock. Do you see any issues with my plan?

sdupontjr

WKR
No, I looked for a long time for just a CTR takeoff barrel. JA outdoors has them, but I wanted one in SS, 20" and in 308. So finally, i decided to just buy a SS CTR 308 in 20" that was for sale here on the site. Striped it down after I couldn't get use to the stock. Sold the stock, bottom metal and mag and had a barreled CTR action with rail.

I initially was looking so i could set up a 308, with a brake, so the little kids could shoot it. the extra weight, plus the brake would help out alot. Well that didn't work, so I put it on a diet. Put it in the lite stock, which is lighter that the CTR stock, pulled the rail and now I plan on supressing it.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
No, I looked for a long time for just a CTR takeoff barrel. JA outdoors has them, but I wanted one in SS, 20" and in 308. So finally, i decided to just buy a SS CTR 308 in 20" that was for sale here on the site. Striped it down after I couldn't get use to the stock. Sold the stock, bottom metal and mag and had a barreled CTR action with rail.

I initially was looking so i could set up a 308, with a brake, so the little kids could shoot it. the extra weight, plus the brake would help out alot. Well that didn't work, so I put it on a diet. Put it in the lite stock, which is lighter that the CTR stock, pulled the rail and now I plan on supressing it.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't get used to the CTR stock. I'll likely be pulling my CTR stock off and putting a Lite or compact stock on my .223. Had considered just getting a Stainless Lite .223, but can't quite get myself to offload the .223 CTR yet.

sdupontjr

WKR
I also did a weight comparison between my T3 lite and my CTR. Both in 308. I was actually surprised of the outcome. Thought it would be more. If you search, you can find it.

sdupontjr

WKR
Dremel with a carbide bit. Lightly feather back and forth. Once I get it free floated, I use a sanding bit and smooth it out. Takes about 10min.

If you notice it's not enough, I usually mark it with a pencil. Trace it along side of barrel. That gives you a guide to run dremel against.

Juan_ID

WKR
Out of curiosity, what was your technique for opening up/cutting that stock opening to give clearance for the new barrel?
I used a 1” wooden rod wrapped in 80-100grit sandpaper and just pushed it back and forth in the barrel channel til I got the clearance I was looking for. Seemed to keep it pretty uniform and made short work of it. I did this for an aftermarket barrel that is just slightly bigger than the ctr contour.