Tikka T3 lite factory ammo choice

sdupontjr

WKR
I picked up a hardly used Tikka T3 in .308 after hearing all the rave about them. Mounted my new Meopta Optika6 3-18x56 on it right before hunting season and went to the range. I ended up picking up some federal blue box 150's to play around with to get use to the gun. They actually shot pretty well. I was planning a trip to south west Texas where shots would and could be 400+. Well being here in Louisiana, our new range has a max of 100 so i was limited to that. The stock was only painted. I ended up removing the speed bumps as well as free floated it all the way back to the action. I also installed an Elay precision trigger spring, which by the way is very sweet, and went to the range. I also had a box of Hornady SST 165's form my Rem 700.

When I arrived at the range, i wanted to see how the SST's would do. They were actually all over the place. Shot like crap, 2.5 - 3" groups. I wanted to try these, because they shot around .5 moa out of my recently sold Rem 700. Figure the better ballistics of the SST would help out on some of the longer shots in Texas. Well that backfired. So i pulled out the Blue box 150's and to my surprise the shot really well, actually sub moa. I just don't know much of the ballistics on them for longer range shots. I don't reload nor do I have any reloading equipment however a buddy of mine worked up a few loads for my other rifle and could if I asked.

So, the Tikka does have the modified bolt stop and I do have both SA and LA mags in the event I do need to load some out a little longer. The bumps are removed and its free floated all the way back to the action with a good bit of room to spare as well as trigger spring. What if any factory ammo choices do you guys recommend? The main reason I ask is I'm looking for versatility, if thats even possible. I do make the Texas trip every year and have several other places I hunt with shots ranging from inside 100 to 400+.

Dhbwa

WKR
The blue box 150’s will work fine to 400 but will you? You really need to practice at distances that you may shoot while hunting.
Another good choice is the Hornady match or black with the 168 Amax. They shoot very well in several 308’s

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Buddy of mine mentioned the Hornady WT's but I purchased the BlueBox strictly because thats all they had.

My sons Tikka 308 shoots the Federal Fusion 150 and 165 grain. Gun really likes them. Never tried anything else as its primarily a deer rifle.

16Bore

WKR
Never met a Tikka that had problems shooting anything into tight little knots.

Interesting.

My .308 T3x likes the Hornady Superperformance 150gr SST, <1MOA. Shot two or three others between 1 and 2 MOA. I bet the rifle that came off the line after mine likes something different. Just never know.

archp625

WKR
I know we are talking apples to oranges in calibers and guns but my Tikka in .270 Win didn't like the Hornady SST's either. I did find that my gun liked Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo. Every gun is different. Your best bet is to buy a few boxes of ammo you may want to shoot and try them all out. Its a little bit of an initial investment up front but worth it in the end.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Yeah, i want to try the Nosler 125 BT as well, they shot .5 MOA at 200 yards out my 700 I recently sold. Also some others.

armedhiker

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes Vor-TX in 168 grain TTSX and the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain shoot the best out of mine.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Area you guys running OEM plastic stock or went aftermarket? I would like to stay with original plastic stock and also did you guys free float and remove the speed bumps?

16Bore

WKR
I can’t even remember dude....I think I wrote in in my gun bag somewhere.

Oh, and here’s a “stock mod” you might like. Its on a T3, not T3x.

0EF608D9-5DAF-49E8-AB78-172CA61D9A65.jpeg

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting the Hornady Precision Hunters out of my stock Tikka T3 in .308 and they are sub-MOA. This was a new rifle / ammo for me this year and I'm loving it. I didn't have a shot opportunity so I can't comment on lethality though.

Motown

WKR
My T3X 308 SL loves Federal Premium 150 grain ballistic tips. It is in a Mcmillan stock and free floated and torqued to 40 in/lbs.

Attachments

• A5192B0A-9114-4502-AD25-F9D3DF9D9A37.jpeg
    A5192B0A-9114-4502-AD25-F9D3DF9D9A37.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 34