Tikka T3 casing stuck after fired

Breakout

FNG
Hello to all. Hope your hunting has been successful. I am sometimes having the casing get stuck in the throat of my older tikka. Doesn't happen all the time. First, time happened with about only 100 Total shots and took it to gun smith. He put a rod in barrel and knocked it out. Said the throat was rusty and damaged and didnt think it was worth cleaning it. I asked him to please do it, he did and said it wasn't bad at all and just wiped it out. Shot about a dozen times since and the last one got barely hung up. Had to use more force than normal. I keep a shot count since I bought this gun. It was a demo but never had a round through until I put one through it. Total shot count is 115 as of now. Any suggestions on what to do, where to send it, etc.? Thank you in advance.

The Guide

WKR
I should have been more direct, is this the same box or lot of ammo that got stuck before? Some times you get a box or lot of ammo that is out of spec for your chamber. I would suggest buying the cheapest 308 ammo of a different brand and firing a few shots out of the rifle. If you continue to have issues, you might need to get the chamber checked with a go/no go gauge to verify you don't have a short chamber or over sized chamber and the brass is swelling to a point where it sticks. Honestly, this should have been done in the beginning by your gunsmith.

Jay

jek5224

FNG
Do you reload? If so, your loads might be a little "hot" and they may be causing the casing to swell.

OP
Breakout

Breakout

FNG
What caliber and is it the same ammo that got stuck before?

Jay
308 & only have used hornady sst 165 gr.
I should have been more direct, is this the same box or lot of ammo that got stuck before? Some times you get a box or lot of ammo that is out of spec for your chamber. I would suggest buying the cheapest 308 ammo of a different brand and firing a few shots out of the rifle. If you continue to have issues, you might need to get the chamber checked with a go/no go gauge to verify you don't have a short chamber or over sized chamber and the brass is swelling to a point where it sticks. Honestly, this should have been done in the beginning by your gunsmith.

Jay
80983 is the item number on the box. I will look for lot # when I get out the stand.

OP
Breakout

Breakout

FNG
It’s not uncommon with Superformance. Try different ammo.
My dad, my buddy, his wife and my other friend all have tikkas in 308 and use the same ammo & none of them have had the problem. That's why I am leaning towards the ammo not being the problem. Unless, I am the "lucky" one who occasionally pulls the messed up bullet out the boxes we all share. LOL

OP
Breakout

Breakout

FNG

Jay
My dad, my buddy, his wife and my other friend all have tikkas in 308 and use the same ammo & none of them have had the problem. That's why I am leaning towards the ammo not being the problem. Unless, I am the "lucky" one who occasionally pulls the messed up bullet out the boxes we all share. LOL

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

It doesn’t take much variance in individual chambers to cause issues when ammo is right on the edge. High pressure issues with Superformace is relatively common- a simple google search will show that.

The ammo is the easiest and cheapest variable to change. If it isn’t happening with Federal or Winchester ammo, it isn’t the rifle.

One more thing I will ask and I am sure it will start the same crap-storm it caused in another thread here, but I am going to ask based on something you put in your original post.

How often are you cleaning it and when you do clean it are you using a bore guide? The reason that I ask is that the "rust" the gunsmith saw in your chamber could have just been dried solvent, which is why it was easy to clean out. It also could truly have been rust that formed from moisture wicking out of the air due to a cleaning product left in the chamber or barrel. If you are leaving solvent in your chamber it will eventually cause issues.
A good practice if you are cleaning regularly is to use either one of the fast drying gun scrubbers or brake cleaner to flush out the chamber and barrel when you are done cleaning. I know some like to have a light coat of oil, but I like mine bone dry and then just foul them by shooting about 20 rounds (5 isn't enough in my opinion). Better yet, I just don't clean until the gun tells me I need to clean it, which isn't often.

OP
Breakout

Breakout

FNG
Handgunhtr, you are completely correct. He said it was from a solvent. However, a few days before this mishaps, I had the gun sticking out the blind and it started to lightly rain. I am thinking a few rain water drops got in there. When finished hunting i put gun in the safe barrel up with one still in the pipe. I now put it in the safe barrel down and chamber empty. When I clean it i just run the cloth snake through it from the action end pulling out of the business end.