Tikka/Sportsmatch PSA

Antares

WKR
I tried using some Sportsmatch rings on my .308 Win T3x without the arrestor pin because I needed the rings to come farther back on the dovetail to get proper eye relief. Well, over the course of about 25 shots, the scope and rings slid forward about 1.75" and when the forward ring reached the end of the dovetail it started flaring out. Clamps were torqued to 50 in-lb with blue loctite. Scope was an NXS 2.5-10x42. Rings were HT073 (high). To be clear, this was user error, not a problem with the rings.

PSA: Use the arrestor pin in your Tikka/Sportsmatch setup.

IMG_5332.jpeg

Sled

WKR
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't expect this would happen, especially with standard cartridges.

Tod osier

WKR
If you want more flexibility, a screw in one of the tapped scope base holes offers placement options beyond the pin.

Properly torqued, I'd think those rings would hold pretty good even without the pin. I've read of a number of people using them sans pins.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
If you want more flexibility, a screw in one of the tapped scope base holes offers placement options beyond the pin.

Properly torqued, I'd think those rings would hold pretty good even without the pin. I've read of a number of people using them sans pins.

Thats a good thought about using a screw in one of the mounting holes.

I did not expect this much movement and certainly not the flaring, especially with a .308. The action is cerakoted, which I guess makes it slicker, but I still would've expected a little more stiction than this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, I have a set on the way right now for my 6.5 CM. Probably even lower risk for that happening than your .308, but I'll make sure to use the arrestor pin anyway.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I dont use the pin with any of my TO84 SMatch rings. Don't get the slightest movement, ever. Not really sure why this occurred.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Did you degrease the screws before you mounted the rings?

Definitely. Twisted the screws into a rag soaked in brake cleaner between my pinched fingers until they're clean. Several rounds of alternating brake cleaner and compressed air into the screw holes. My regular routine.

Definitely. Twisted the screws into a rag soaked in brake cleaner between my pinched fingers until they're clean. Several rounds of alternating brake cleaner and compressed air into the screw holes. My regular routine.

Guess I have some work to do. I have a set mounted to a cerekoted 308 as well, also with no pin.