Tikka or CA Mesa ??

First, I’m a lefty so finding a gun can be frustrating. My question is; is the Christiansen Arms Mesa worth the extra $300ish over the tikka TX3? CA comes threaded and I would be adding threading to the tikka. Thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited:
CA comes with a Triggertech trigger, better stock, factory threaded with a brake and thread protector, and barrels that are properly twisted for high BC bullets. The choice was simple for me. A bone stock CA Mesa has a lot of advantages over a bone stock Tikka.

To me the tikka is a "budget" rifle and the christensen is a "refined" rifle. The christensen wont shoot any better than the tikka but it sure will look and feel better. I own both. My tikka has a damn good factory trigger and its the only rifle I havent had the trigger worked over on, until the christensen! Its trigger is next level crisp and light. I would chose the christensen for sure.

Motown

WKR
I have slowly converted over all my rifles to tikkas the past few years. With that said they also didnt come out with the 6.5 PRC this year and so I think a mesa is on my list next.

Creekrat

FNG
The big question is what caliber are you looking at? The Tikkas are nice but in the longer cartridges their action suffers the ability to load LONG. I seriously considered a tikka but wanted a 300wm and their twist and the action limitations steered me away. I ended up with a ridgeline

Tikka owner here and no trigger time behind CA. I will say, the new refinements tikka announced on the t3x are intriguing and close some of the gap to the CA specs. Might be worth checking out.

Motown

WKR
I agree with desk jockey. The new wideland model looks pretty sweet and I think one of these is a 7mag or 300wsm will be in my possession when they are released.

Tikka owner here and no trigger time behind CA. I will say, the new refinements tikka announced on the t3x are intriguing and close some of the gap to the CA specs. Might be worth checking out.
They could pull ahead of CA if they’d just twist their barrels correctly.

I agree with desk jockey. The new wideland model looks pretty sweet and I think one of these is a 7mag or 300wsm will be in my possession when they are released.

This looks awesome. I too shoot lefty but don’t see the new wideland in lefty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
i was ready to buy a Tikka in 6.5 CM in December. Went into the Sportsman Warehouse, and they had the CA Mesa for $300 off, the same price as the Tikka CTR. I’ve got about 200 rounds in the Mesa, and it’s a fantastic production rifle. I have 2 sub .400 loads worked up with hunting bullets, and it’s just a lot of fun to shoot. I know the Tikka is a great gun also, I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You will like the buttery smooth action of the Tikka more than the clunky cock on close action of the christensens.

You will like just about everything else about the Christensen better. Way better stock, no plastic magazine hanging off the bottom of the stock like the Tikka, better trigger, better factory recoil pad, and just a better fit and feel overall in my opinion.

You can’t go wrong with either rifle though.

You will like the buttery smooth action of the Tikka more than the clunky cock on close action of the christensens.

You will like just about everything else about the Christensen better. Way better stock, no plastic magazine hanging off the bottom of the stock like the Tikka, better trigger, better factory recoil pad, and just a better fit and feel overall in my opinion.

You can’t go wrong with either rifle though.
Noticed this today too. I was handling a Ridgeline and noticed there is a lot of play in the action when cycling the bolt

OP
C
Sorry I’m a little late on the update. Right now I’m looking at a 6.5 Creedmoor. The new tikka does not list a lefty so that’s out. I plan on shooting the 140 grain range bullets, whatever brand patterns best. It will have a can and I’ll be using it for hunting with deer being the biggest animal.

Muttly

WKR
So...had not planned on being in the same boat a couple years ago. Long story short, picked up a CA Ridgeline, 30-06..and around the same time, rounded up a Tikka T3x, in 7 Mag.
Figured the Ridgeline likely turn into the go to, thought the Tikka would be a fine mule to try out a 7 Mag. Never did bond with the Ridgeline, found myself liking the Tikka better and better.
For myself, the Tikka was a better fit with the factory stock, liked the action a lot better.
A pretty decent Zeiss on the Ridgeline, vs Tikka with an SWFA super chicken.
Didn't want to like the Tikka/SWFA combo better, but I did.
Put a McMillan on the Tikka, liked it even better but realistically, could have lived quite easily with the Tikka Tupperware, and had a suppressor on it instead..
And none of this is meant to take away from the Ridgeline, the guy that got the Ridgeline from me sent pics of what he was doing with it at 500 yards, and I was impressed. But back to the fit, I was always fighting it, the Tikka was an easy fit.