Tikka LA to 6.5 Creed

waldo9190

WKR
Hi guys, rebarreling a long action tikka to 6.5 creedmoor. Curious if it would be worth it go grab the SA bolt stop and M+ magazine? I'm not concerned about the bolt throw but if anyone has had any feeding issues with the LA stop/mag then I'll swap it over. If not I'll roll as is.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Mag will feed smoother yes, bolt stop is just a nice to have. I’m assuming you have a bolt with the proper face dimensions?
-J

Eagle

WKR
If you want to shoot long for caliber bullets, you'll be happy to be building it off the long action. The tikka action isn't really a true "long" action, more of a medium, which is perfect for the 6.5cm.

Macintosh

WKR
The M+ mags already accommodate long for caliber bullets, highly doubt you will need a long action for a 6.5cm. Using your LA mags and bolt stop will work though. Its possible you have a few feeding issues as recoil allows the bullets to slip forward…but my guess is thats an intermittent issue. A sa bolt stop will shorten your bolt throw, but its only 3/8” or so. I swap between a la and short action as its only a $30 part and takes about 4 seconds to swap when you switch barrels, but it might not be a necessity.

OP
W

waldo9190

WKR
Mag will feed smoother yes, bolt stop is just a nice to have. I’m assuming you have a bolt with the proper face dimensions?
-J
Yes, swapping out a 270.
I swapped a tikka in 270 over to 6.5 creed, never changed the bolt stop, works flawlessly.
Good to know. I know the bolt stop isn't a necessity to change, main concern was the mag. Did you keep using the LA mag or go with the M+?

My long action 22/6cm feed like garbage with the L mags. Switched to the M+ and they have run flawlessly.

Last edited: