Tikka gunsmithing in AK?

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have any recommendations for a good bolt action gunsmith in Alaska.?

I'd like to turn my Tikka into a do it all rifle....install the WTO Switch Lug system, be able to shoot 300 WSM, 6.5 PRC, short barrel .308. It would mostly be action work, barrel threading.

Thanks

OP
J

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, that's my other option.

Any experience with the Switch Lug or WTO? It sounds awesome on paper.

NSI

WKR
I've gone back and forth on doing one. I still may in the future. But I got the barrel vise etc. so I've just been screwing barrels on and off the old fashioned way. I do think it's neat and I haven't heard any complaints on accuracy or return to zero. My interactions with WTO have been good, though they can be a bit slow over email. My main hesitation is not being able to order pre-fits off the shelf anymore because they need to be cut to WTO's spec. Now that I see how much headspace slop there is in Tikka pre-fits, I care much less about that.

-J

OP
J

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Since the switch lug system requires turning on a lathe anyway, is there any reason to go with a Pre-fit?

Any recommendations for a 300wsm barrel?

My first application is putting together a 300 WSM, throat long for heavy bullets, about 20" barrel, threaded for 5/8x24 for a suppressor.

NSI

WKR
Not sure exactly what you're asking, but ... there is a different standard for how a Tikka pre-fit is machined vs how a WTO Tikka barrel is machined. So once you have the WTO installed, you'll no longer be able to order off-the-shelf prefits from the likes of PBB or Proof.

WTO retains your measurements so they can cut you barrels (off any blank you like) at will without your action present. Theoretically other gunsmiths could use that tenon print to cut you barrels as well. Theoretically other gunsmiths also wouldn't need the action present, though I haven't tested that myself. Whatever way you look at it, you gain a lot of convenience but change the barrel ecosystem you're working with.

I love the 300 WSM and I think WTO could cut you up a nice barrel for it to your throat specs. If you decide not to go with WTO I'd go to BugHoles for the tightest tolerance custom throat 300 WSM tikka profit possible.

-J

OP
J

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
So does that mean a Pre-Fit barrel can't be made to work with the switch lug system?

My understanding was that any barrel would have to be turned on a lathe to fit the switch lug.

So if I get the switch lug system done, what do I need to look for when ordering a barrel?

Thanks

NSI

WKR
If you have installed a switch lug, you will no longer be able to use standard-issue Tikka pre-fits. That doesn't mean you can't send a smith your new WTO tenon print and have them spin you up a custom shouldered pre-fit. Or of course you can have WTO do the same since they retain your measurements.

-J