Tikka - Converting to CTR bottom metal inletting?

Antares

WKR
Haven't been able to find much on this. How different are the inlets for standard lite bottom metal and the inlets for the CTR bottom metal? Can you open up the lite inlet to accept the CTR bottom metal? Anyone done it? Is it difficult?

I have a McMillan Game Scout that I'd like to convert to CTR bottom metal if possible. I'd like to go this direction over AICS mags because I've heard the CTR mags feed really well and I like how compact the CTR 10-round mags are with the double stack.

Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
The ctr inlet is larger, same length, same screws, just wider.

I’m not sure the game scout will accept the ctr inlet, I had read that it’s too wide but iv also seen pictures of it done where the bottom metal just sits proud on the sides. I’d call mcmillan and talk to them, if it can be done I’d send the stock back to mcmillan or LRI for additional inletting.

Not the topic but I also am not a fan of the ctr mag, I’d recommend aics.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
The ctr inlet is larger, same length, same screws, just wider.

I’m not sure the game scout will accept the ctr inlet, I had read that it’s too wide but iv also seen pictures of it done where the bottom metal just sits proud on the sides. I’d call mcmillan and talk to them, if it can be done I’d send the stock back to mcmillan or LRI for additional inletting.

Not the topic but I also am not a fan of the ctr mag, I’d recommend aics.

Yeah thanks. I sent Lynne an email this morning, but it's Saturday and I'm impatient...so here I am.

Why don't you like the CTR mag? Just curious.

I'm honestly a little confused with the aftermarket Tikka/AICS bottom metal offerings. Some seem to be for the CTR inlet, some seem to be for standard inlet, but only for long action cartridges... Redsnake looks like they make one in a standard inlet for short action cartridges, but it only accepts a specific 5-round AI mag... Which isn't much of an improvement considering I can get a 5-round factory Tikka mag...

My rifle is a 6.5CM currently. Does anyone make a standard inlet bottom metal that will accept a 10-round AICS mag for the 308/6.5 cartridges? Preferably double stack, single feed?

A little lost here. Thanks for the help.

Lawnboi

WKR
Ctr mags have some known problems, and your pigeon holed to one single mag. Aics gives you a lot of options for size, and are more reliable in my experience.

A short action aics mag conversion should be fairly simple. Tikka actions are not long enough to take a standard long action aics. I can’t help you on the aftermarket aics bottom metals, I do have one aics tikka stock but it’s a manners with a mini chassis, it works awesome though, much better than when it had a ctr bottom metal bolted in.

What’s your goal for the 10 round mag?

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I have a ctr bottom metal and 10 round mag Id sell!

Ha! I know! Your WTS post is what got me going on this. Just wanted to make sure the stock would accept the inletting before I contacted you.

For future reference, McMillan says the Game Scout has enough material to be inletted for CTR bottom metal.

SouthPaw

WKR
So what about going the other direction?

I have a CTR .223 and tried putting a standard T3 floorplate into the CTR stock. It fits (with the small gap like pictured above), but the plastic mag does not fit snug. I also tried this in a Mesa Altitude stock using the CTR receiver, it bolts up snug but the same result with a loose mag. It looks like the CTR receiver has a different feed angle than the standard T3/T3x (or has a cut made) and my idea is not going to work. Photos show the play between mag positions, its loose.

Has anybody used a CTR receiver with standard T3/T3X floorplate/stock inlet, and what mods did you need to get it to work?

Attachments

• tikka mag gap.jpg
    tikka mag gap.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220610_182506.jpg
    20220610_182506.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Is it a difference in the depth of the inletting between the two bottom metals?

Lawnboi

WKR
So what about going the other direction?

I have a CTR .223 and tried putting a standard T3 floorplate into the CTR stock. It fits (with the small gap like pictured above), but the plastic mag does not fit snug. I also tried this in a Mesa Altitude stock using the CTR receiver, it bolts up snug but the same result with a loose mag. It looks like the CTR receiver has a different feed angle than the standard T3/T3x (or has a cut made) and my idea is not going to work. Photos show the play between mag positions, its loose.

Has anybody used a CTR receiver with standard T3/T3X floorplate/stock inlet, and what mods did you need to get it to work?
You need the small metal mag retention spring that goes between your trigger and action. Mountain tactical sells one.

Depth is the exact same on each.

SouthPaw

WKR
Great, thanks. That's excellent news. I do think I have one of those springs, and will put the rifle in the carbon stock. Should make the fun little .223 even better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk