Tikka caliber for kids

Ok guys, need some advice. I currently have the following three Tikka rifles.

6.5 Creedmoor
7mm-08 Compact

I bought the 7mm-08 for my daughter to use, before I purchased the 223. The more i learn about and gain experience shooting the more I want to gravitate towards lighter recoiling cartridges, especially when it come to teaching my kids to shoot. My 11yo daughter has shot the 7mm-08 with the reduced recoil loads, but not anything full power. After I shot full power loads in the 7mm-08 I really feel like it has a bit more recoil than my 6.5. My question is should I rebarrel the 7mm-08 to a 6 Creedmoor, or should I go with another 6.5 Creedmoor for easier reloading. I have two other kids coming along as well. What do you guys think?

Put a Limbsaver on them.

Put the bulk of practice with the 223 (less cost, easier on the shoulder) but do add the 7mm-08 in the mix.

OP
M
Thanks for the reply man. The only concern with doing that is that the 7mm-08 at full power loads still has a bit more recoil than my 6.5, and I don’t want my kids to be worried about the recoil. Adding a limbsaver would definitely be the cheapest route though.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have hunted Eland, Zebra, Wildebest, Kudu, Elk, etc all with a 7mm-08. It's so much fun to shoot and my kid loves, it. My fav round in the world

Sled

WKR
Kids can shoot them all but will enjoy the 223, 6.5cm and 7mm-08 in that order. I'd have them learn on a 22lr and move to either of the first two but hunt with the 6.5 for large game.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For my son I put a limb saver on it I put a break on it and we bought low recoil ammo, if you shoot it suppressed it's like shooting an air gun.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 creedmoor and the 7mm-08 are both shooting pretty much the same bullet weights which makes them almost the same tool for the same job. If I were in your shoes I would have the 7mm-08 rebarelled to a fast twist 22-250, a 22 creed, or a 6mm creed. A 22-243 mittlestead is very intriguing as well.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely not interested in having my kids shoot a breaker rifle, a suppressor is on the way though. Thanks for the response.
Muzzle Break sorry in the suppressor. Good luck! The low recoil ammo worked wonders for the range.

Not sure if you reload or not but you could also try dropping the bullet weight to help reduce recoil like the 120 6.5mm NBT. 223 could be the best option depending on what’s legal where you are.

I’m leaning towards one of those 8 twist 243 tikkas when I can get my hands on one. Probably in stainless with the barrel chopped back to 18 inches to help with handling.

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
My 10yr old boy has been using the tikka compact 7-08 for 3 years now with no issue. Shoots it very accurately and no issue on the recoil. Started with the reduced load for a couple years, and now he’s shooting regular loads. Id say just work your way into it with the reduced recoil.

OP
M

eric1115

WKR
Man I would definitely recommend a 6mm or .22 creed or something like that. My 13 year old shot a bunch of .223 when he was 9/10 yrs old before he did much with the compact 7mm-08 we got him, but in retrospect I think it was too much. He didn't (still doesn't) mind it, he was (and still is) always super excited to shoot it and would shoot as much as I'd let him.

"Loves it" and "not scared of it", unfortunately, does not necessarily mean "didn't develop any bad habits because of it". He still shoots the .223 better, and a couple years ago we had a serious summer when he was turning 12 of correcting that. He probably dry fired 30 minutes a day 3x per week all summer, and range trips were a lot of dry fire between each round, me loading his rifle with dummies, more rimfire than centerfire, and more .223 than 7mm-08.

We kept doing a lot of that, though not with the intensity of that summer, to try to maintain good habits, but I didn't realize how much of a hole I'd dug for him to get out of.

My daughter (10) has only ever shot rimfire and .223, and doesn't have nearly bad habits my son did at that age. I have 4 more kids younger than her, so I decided to do a "first deer gun" for all of them to use as they get old enough. Early last summer I ordered a Howa mini in 6mm ARC (basically a 6mm grendel, a touch slower than a 6BR) that should be finally showing up this month. I know a .223 is probably the logical choice but I can't seem to bring myself to just do the sensible straightforward thing.

Do you handload? How much of a project are you looking for? A 6BR or .22 creedmoor would be a sweet rebarrel if you want to keep standard bolt face, though you won't get your desired barrel life out of the creed. 3k+ out of the BR. 6CM if suppressed should do great as well, but is closer to 6.5 recoil than it is to .223 and less barrel life.

A 108gr 6mm ELDM at BR speeds or 88gr 22cal ELDM is great on game and is very mild and fun to shoot (especially suppressed).

Also if you can snap up some 77 tmk's when the become available, your existing .223 is a great deer killer already. Just don't buy the ones I'm trying to buy (along with every other WKR out there).

KenLee

WKR
I love a 7mm-08 for kids and small women, but use micro midas x-bolts. Great factory recoil pads and proper length of pull. Run 120 gr TTSX or NBT.