Tikka bolt tightening up after firing/dry firing. Suggestions?

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
Got a new Tikka T3X Lite over here and having a weird issue where the bolt tightens up after firing or dry firing. It runs fine until I pull the trigger, and then when I try to lift it, there's a lot of resistance to get the bolt handle up making it harder to cycle. It's nothing to do with ammo, and there's no obstructions that I can see coming from the rail above. I called customer service and the fellow said it's not a known issue, but I can send it in under warranty and they'll ship it back in a month. I tried unscrewing and retorquing the action screws, which didn't do anything. Tonight I'll probably disassemble and clean the bolt and see if that helps. Is this is a known issue? Has anyone figured out what the problem is and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any help.

• Haha
Reactions: NSI

Tod osier

WKR
Hi,
Got a new Tikka T3X Lite over here and having a weird issue where the bolt tightens up after firing or dry firing. It runs fine until I pull the trigger, and then when I try to lift it, there's a lot of resistance to get the bolt handle up making it harder to cycle. It's nothing to do with ammo, and there's no obstructions that I can see coming from the rail above. I called customer service and the fellow said it's not a known issue, but I can send it in under warranty and they'll ship it back in a month. I tried unscrewing and retorquing the action screws, which didn't do anything. Tonight I'll probably disassemble and clean the bolt and see if that helps. Is this is a known issue? Has anyone figured out what the problem is and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any help.

It is normal that it is harder to work the bolt because when fired/dry fired since it needs to be cocked. Yours may be harder than normal. Try some grease on the cocking piece/ramp. Look for galling there too.

This is a good thread that describes the problem:

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! It's definitely not normal. I've never had a rifle take so much force to cycle.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Does your bolt shroud have a spring underneath it? If so it may be binding. Remove shroud and see if the bolt cycles better. It that helps try flipping spring or get a new one that fits better

DavidReed

FNG
If a light smear of grease (so light you can't see it) on the back of the bolt lugs, cocking piece, and primary extraction cam doesn't reduce the effort take the bolt down and check the firing pin isn't bent. Also flush the inside of the bolt body with starting fluid to get any left over manufacturing grit and debris out and check that the firing pin hole in the bolt is straight and not drilled off/crooked.