tikka 6.5cm CTR 18' barrel

Tuby27

Lil-Rokslider
hi guys,

I'm seriously considering chopping my 24" 6.5cm CTR to 18". I'm a diy guy so I'll probably rent the crowning tools from 4drentals. unfortunately, living in cali, I can't get a can and will be using 127gr LRX handloads (currently running about 2930fps from my 24"). I know I hardly notice the noise when taking my shot while hunting but my question is, those that have it or something similar, how's the noise and blast or is it more noticeable with a short barrel while hunting? I will be using it without a brake and ear protection. I currently use my 270win t3x stainless superlight for still hunting here in cali but want to have something more compact when road hunting and on my quad. also just bc I think it would look awesome with my 270win and my other tikka, a 300wsm t3x stainless superlite. would it be a good idea to chop it to 18" and use for hunting under 500yrds, no suppressor or brake. pics appreciated if any, thanks.

I bought my boys youth 7mm-08’s some odd years back. One was 20” barrel and the other 18”. The 18 was a loud with a very harsh sound. Fairly awful to shoot. No idea who thought an 18” barrel would be good for youth. The 20” was noticeably better.
At one point I owned a Mosin nagant M44 with 20” tube. That thing was impressively loud and belched fire. Was cool to shoot at night, but never without ear protection.
I have a 20” 308. It’s not horrid, but was much more pleasant at 24.
I cut my 6.5 creedmoor at 22” after experiencing the other 20” rifles.
I’ve had AR15’s in everything from 16 to 24 and they seem pleasant enough even at the shorter lengths with 6.5 Grendel.

It seems to be a lot dependent on powder volume, type, and personal preference.

For reference I despise muzzle brakes (loudeners). I don’t think I’d cut anything that burns 35+ grains of powder shorter than 20” unless it was dedicated to running a can.

Antares

WKR
I honestly can’t believe people shoot unsuppressed without hearing protection anymore. You’re choosing to have permanent hearing damage. Full stop.

I don’t know anyone who caries ear pro while hunting deer/elk other than folks with muzzle brakes. And I know very few people that run suppressed.

I’m not saying it’s right. Just the way it is.

khuber84

WKR
Short barrels bark, no matter what. I have a 21" 300wsm, run it supressed, as well as an 18" 22creed. With the same supressor, the 18" 22cm is noticeably louder than the wsm. Even though the wsm is burning 62% more powder.

Jimbee

WKR
hi guys,

I'm seriously considering chopping my 24" 6.5cm CTR to 18". I'm a diy guy so I'll probably rent the crowning tools from 4drentals. unfortunately, living in cali, I can't get a can and will be using 127gr LRX handloads (currently running about 2930fps from my 24"). I know I hardly notice the noise when taking my shot while hunting but my question is, those that have it or something similar, how's the noise and blast or is it more noticeable with a short barrel while hunting? I will be using it without a brake and ear protection. I currently use my 270win t3x stainless superlight for still hunting here in cali but want to have something more compact when road hunting and on my quad. also just bc I think it would look awesome with my 270win and my other tikka, a 300wsm t3x stainless superlite. would it be a good idea to chop it to 18" and use for hunting under 500yrds, no suppressor or brake. pics appreciated if any, thanks.
Did you end up cutting your barrel?

BigSky

WKR
I don’t know anyone who caries ear pro while hunting deer/elk other than folks with muzzle brakes.

I’m not saying it’s right. Just the way it is.
I agree with dc. I'm amazed that it is rarely done. I always have a set of ear plugs attached to a string draped around my neck and ready to go. I make my adult kids do the same and always have. There are not many situations where there isn't time available to insert them before a shot. If the trophy of a lifetime jumps up with seconds to shoot, well, that's just the shooter's call whether or not to insert them.

OP
T

Tuby27

Lil-Rokslider
Did you end up cutting your barrel?
Not yet, been busy with other stuff. I’ll probably wait until I get a better scope for the rifle. But I’m still going to do it since the way it is with the 24” barrel, it’s too heavy for me to carry hunting. Will eventually post pics and load data when I do.

Post some pictures of the muzzle flash in low light if you can. Should be awesome with all the unburned powder igniting at the muzzle. Seriously, I wouldn't cut it any shorter than 20 inches especially if you can't put a can on it. You might be able to reduce the muzzle flash by loading a faster burning powder than one designed for a 24 inch barrel.