Tikka 308 mags (M/M+)

BLJ

WKR
Going to pick up a couple extra magazines for my Tikka 308.
Looking for good and bad of the M+ mags in the 308. Any drawbacks? Would they present any feeding issues with normal 308 OAL?
I’m going to end up loading 175 TMK and 200 Hot Cores.
Would the length be a benefit or a detriment? Thanks.

sdupontjr

WKR
I run L's in both my tikkas with a LA bolt stop and the other a modified bolt stop. Both feed out of the L with no issues so I would assume the same with those.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Is there any advantage to the M+ without modifying the bolt stop? Should be a little extra OAL? From what I’ve read.

Macintosh

WKR
M, m+ and L are the exact same mag, the m+ and L just have a progressively smaller block behind the cartridge so it sits slightly further back in the mag. In theory it could allow a little more movement of a short cartridge under recoil, but I never noticed any difference shooting 7mm08 factory cartridges out of an M+. Never tried short action in an L though.

Last edited:
OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Would the benefits of a longer OAL for handloads in a 308 be worth it? With 175/200’s I’m thinking that I could benefit from all the room I can get.

TxLite

WKR
I use the m+ in my 7-08. For some handloads it has been necessary. Others it’s not. Feeds perfectly fine.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Good enough. I’ll order a couple this weekend. Thanks.