Tightness when seating primers

Hi folks, I just began handloading .223 Rem today and quickly hit a snag when seating primers. I'm using once fired Fiocchi brass and CCI 400s. When seating the primers, they were incredibly tight. I had to apply a lot more pressure than I wold have liked, but got them in eventually. Pulled out three pieces of PMC brass to see if the Fiocchi was the problem, but had the same issue.
None of the brass seems to have crimped primer pockets, but I'm worried that I'll detonate a primer if I don't figure this out.

I'm using a Lee press seating setup, same one I've used for tons of .30-06, 6.5 CM, .308 and 9mm loading. In all of those, the primers insert without problem, largely using Starline brass.
Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It is pretty hard to detonate a primer just from mangling it. It needs the percussion of a strike. Just give slow, even pressure.

Otherwise, I'm no help on the cause other than stating the obvious.

MT257

WKR
I had a snug fit I thought was to snug with my Lapua brass. I called them and their CS said tolerances are different than brass made in the US. Said the primer pocket was a tad smaller/tighter. It’ll become larger over time with more firings.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had to ream the pockets on most used 223 brass. Some factory brands crimp the primer pocket for some reason and that leaves a burr or edge even after you remove them.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Snug is better than not snug. If you're really concerned, clean and swage the pockets next time. I have an RCBS pocket swager that really has served me well, especially with previously crimped pockets on .223/5.56.

OP
northernlandgar
I had a snug fit I thought was to snug with my Lapua brass. I called them and their CS said tolerances are different than brass made in the US. Said the primer pocket was a tad smaller/tighter. It’ll become larger over time with more firings.
That's interesting, thanks for the info on European brass. Maybe something to do with CIP standards for the cartridge?

Vern400

WKR
I have not personally had trouble with large rifle primers. That being said, I'm getting ready to start using Lapua brass so we'll see.

With small rifle primers I have experienced some very tight fits of the primers.

I got the RCBS primer pocket swedger kit that fits most of the standard presses like the rock chucker. It does a very good job, and the primers press in with very similar force whether I'm using hornady, frontier, lake City or Winchester brass so I reasonably know it's working.

I could detonate a primer tomorrow. But I've mangled a lot of them really bad learning to process cases with crimped primer pockets. I've never had one go off yet. I've even been very naughty and decapped live primers that got fubar when they did not press in straight. I do wear safety glasses at all times while I'm handling primers.

OP
northernlandgar
I have not personally had trouble with large rifle primers. That being said, I'm getting ready to start using Lapua brass so we'll see.

With small rifle primers I have experienced some very tight fits of the primers.

I got the RCBS primer pocket swedger kit that fits most of the standard presses like the rock chucker. It does a very good job, and the primers press in with very similar force whether I'm using hornady, frontier, lake City or Winchester brass so I reasonably know it's working.

I could detonate a primer tomorrow. But I've mangled a lot of them really bad learning to process cases with crimped primer pockets. I've never had one go off yet. I've even been very naughty and decapped live primers that got fubar when they did not press in straight. I do wear safety glasses at all times while I'm handling primers.
Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a swager kit from RCBS. I've also never had an issue with large rifle primers of any sort in any cartridge, which is why this small rifle primer tightness surprised me.

Primers vary in size, especially LR
I hav found Federal to be the biggest and CCI and Winchester on the smaller side
My 6.5 CM Hornady brass WILL not accept Federal primers