Thoughts? Victory RIP Gamer vs Gamer XV

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to see if anybody else was shooting the "XV" s or has before. I understand Victory has made these to significantly reduce weight and offer Extra Velocity, coining the "XV" suffix. I am looking at getting off the standard diameter arrow, but I'm not looking to go into another orbit with regard to price. This is probably getting into the age old topic of lightweight vs heavyweight arrows and all the differences, but wanted to gauge the room for any direct experience...

I'm currently shooting a Scheels vendetta Pro (made by Victory) but for $20 more per dozen I can shoot RIP Gamers at the reduced diameter, so I'm interested if I can be a similar weight. My main concern is the XV puts my grains way low.... I'd be looking at 369g overall weight. This might be nice for shooting 3D but would be far less ideal for hunting. The non XV gamers would have me at 420g, which is is way more ideal and closer to my current weight.

I pull ~68# , 29" draw currently at about ~285fps.

I haven't shot any of the arrows you mentioned, but my advice would be if it ain't broke don't fix it. There's nothing wrong with a standard diameter arrow. IMO the theoretical benefits of smaller diameter (which may or may not be noticeable in practice) aren't worth the hassle of the more expensive, complex, and often more fragile inserts that are required. If I were to shoot a .204" arrow, I would use either a hidden insert (HIT) or Deep Six RPS insert.

I would be concerned about the durability of an ultralight shaft like a RIP XV and would avoid them for hunting purposes.

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate that feedback and am on the fence in general so this is good reinforcing to my gut.

The vendetta I currently shoot is quite durable in my opinion. Im just intrigued by the idea of shooting slightly flatter with a bit less weight and maybe higher speed so I've been curious about this slight "upgrade" to RIP Gamers. But I'm def leaning NOT the XV model currently

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Wow this is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing. I'll check a few of these out deeper.

.204 id with a hit is all I'd do if you feel the need to go smaller than a .244-.246.

Outserts/halfouts, and the smaller thread options all suck in my opinion.

I think Victory makes a pretty good arrow anymore, but the guys I shoot with have a lot of trouble keeping inserts in them.

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
That's really good to know. I appreciate that intel. The RIP gamers are that .204 ID. . Do you know if your buddies are using hot melt vs insert epoxy? Or do you think it's a brass vs carbon bond issue?

That's really good to know. I appreciate that intel. The RIP gamers are that .204 ID. . Do you know if your buddies are using hot melt vs insert epoxy? Or do you think it's a brass vs carbon bond issue?

It has been over the course of two different halfouts, the previous generation of Victory, and the current. They don't use hot melt, I think they went to the rubberized impact glue(goat tuff high impact i believe), it was better but still not 100%. I don't know their shaft prep, but with as much as they have dealt with it, I feel it's just partly the shafts.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I had to use JB Weld to get my IW HIT inserts securely bonded in my RIP TKOs. The Easton epoxy was a no-go after a dozen shots. I am very meticulous with my arrow prep and I know it wasn't anything I did or didn't do correctly. There are numerous folks that had the same experience. The JB Weld is money!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
That's good to know. I might switch to that. I have always used bohning insert iron and had good bond with everything. I haven't tried Easton's though. Thanks for the heads up!

ajwcotton

FNG
I ran a dozen rip xv's this summer to get more distance for TAC events. I found them to be way too brittle for a hunting arrow. It didn't take much to break them. on one shot I center punched a 1 inch limb at about 40 yards and the arrow shattered. I run RIP TKO's with iron will steel HIT's with the impact collar and they have taken a beating and haven't had an issue yet.

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Boots. On. The. Ground. Intel.

Thank you sir. I figured they would zip but that sounds extremely brittle.