Thoughts: stone glacier Solo or 5900... (I have the 7900)

dapesche

WKR
Long story short... I am back to using stone glacier as the kuiu frame doesn't fit me. Problem is that I REALLY like the 3600pro.

Previously I had the 5900 and used it as a daypack. It worked and I typically used it with a lid. Sometimes I went with bivy but I prefer some easy access pockets.

Switched to kuiu and started using the 3600pro and believe they absolutely nailed the design.

So I gave the xcurve with the sky 7900 and now I need my pack for day hunts and overnighters.

I haven't used the solo but I feel that it is lacking compared to the kuiu 3600.

Tempted to just get the 5900 but I'd prefer to not have a lid. I'm leaning towards the solo for that reason alone.

What do I do?
What have you done?
Am I being too hard on the solo?

Please share some thoughts and experiences.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Too hard on the solo, yes. It’s svelte, but you can add to its internal org with docked camp pockets and add to the belt etc. For day/overnight it’s just such a good design. I always like to have some sort of bottle pocket with it because I hate bladders.

You don’t have to run or have a lid for the 5900, can just buy that bag. Lots more straps etc, obviously compresses well. Can’t go wrong with either, it is take a solo with the 7900 all day.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Really helpful.

Any difference in how they secure a load?

I'll have to watch some sg videos to see how the compression straps work. Curious of the mount points.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Anyone have the solo and would recommend that I get the 5900 instead?

schmalzy

WKR
Anyone have the solo and would recommend that I get the 5900 instead?

I have a solo I really like, only reason I’m selling mine is I need a week long pack for a sheep hunt.

Solo works great for me on shorter trips and day hunts. Super stream lined, love the layout. Gets bigger easily with adding a lid or access pack.

I may end up keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Ok cool.

It just seems like an overpriced dufle bag with a zipper. But what do I know. Haha.

I have one on order so I'm sure it'll get the job done.

Thanks

cmogan15

FNG
I have a solo I really like, only reason I’m selling mine is I need a week long pack for a sheep hunt.

Solo works great for me on shorter trips and day hunts. Super stream lined, love the layout. Gets bigger easily with adding a lid or access pack.

I may end up keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you like the load hauling on the Solo?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How do you like the load hauling on the Solo?
It would haul the same as any other SG pack since it’s the frame taking the weight. I have the 7900 and used to have the solo but traded for the 40/56. I’m thinking of again buying a solo or 40/56 for shorter hunts.