Thoughts on the Exo

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Misleading title and a bit of a selfish post since it's really my thoughts on the exo but still:

I absolutely love my exo 6400. Had it for years. Great bag, great frame, great customer service. However...as I have done more and more extreme backpack hunting, I have found that there really is something to be said for the Durability and comfort of the Barney's Pack frames. On a side note, if you don't know anything about Barneys Sports Chalet, their stuff is awesome. Highly recommend, even though it makes exo look like the cheap option.

Essentially a Barney's frame has twice the padding and is twice a durable. Meaning I can put 100lbs of sheep meat in it and literally (maybe not literally but damn close) throw it off a cliff because I don't want to climb down with it on. And I have found that the exo pack after about 65lbs and 20 miles really starts to hurt my hips and my traps significantly more than the barney's does due to the extra padding. To the point where I have thought about cutting up an old foam topper (side note: anyone ever done this?) and gluing to the pack straps and hip belt)

All that ranting, to say this...if anyone else feels the same, send exo a message. I think a limited run collab with Barney's frame and exo bags would be epic!

First thing that should be pointed out is if your traps are hurting you may have the harness set wrong for the length of your torso.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
First thing that should be pointed out is if your traps are hurting you may have the harness set wrong for the length of your torso.
Lol. Yes...but also no. After about 1200 miles and testing every variation of the lumbar, waist belt, XL vs standard frame, and strap settings, I'm fairly confident my pack is set as appropriately as it can be. That said, I'm bony as hell with literally zero ass or hips so getting any pack to sit on my hips with weight without sliding is a challenge. Although the exo does a damn good job.

Out of curiosity, you can carry a fully loaded pack for 10 hours a day for 2 days and not experience trap soreness?

Yes.

I'm only 5ft 7in and I have a decent butt on me (squats and middle-eastern genes) so I don't have much of an issue with my Exo sliding down and giving my traps a hard time.

I took my 5500 to Papua New Guinea and walked The Kokoda Track at the end of 2019. I think about 130km all up over 8 days, carrying 'camp' on my back (equivalent weight of camp). It's onw of the toughest walks out there as far as I'm aware and I didn't have any soreness on my body besides my knees as a result of all the downhill stuff with a lot of weight on my back.

I've owned my Exo for over four years now and I'd be surprised if there is a 5500 out there that's been abused as much as mine has, both in terms of the number of miles/kilometres on it, and the number of heavy loads of meat I've packed out.

Not trying to sound like a wanker. Just curious. If anyone has used a 5500 more than me I'd love to hear about it.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
@123efd2 Please give us a call this week. I'd be good to chat more about your experience and see what we can do to dial-in the fit/adjustment for you.
Apprreciate you reaching out! Love you guys. Any input regarding an Exo + Barneys collab? Very interested for exo to weigh in on that?

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Yes.

I'm only 5ft 7in and I have a decent butt on me (squats and middle-eastern genes) so I don't have much of an issue with my Exo sliding down and giving my traps a hard time.

I took my 5500 to Papua New Guinea and walked The Kokoda Track at the end of 2019. I think about 130km all up over 8 days, carrying 'camp' on my back (equivalent weight of camp). It's onw of the toughest walks out there as far as I'm aware and I didn't have any soreness on my body besides my knees as a result of all the downhill stuff with a lot of weight on my back.

I've owned my Exo for over four years now and I'd be surprised if there is a 5500 out there that's been abused as much as mine has, both in terms of the number of miles/kilometres on it, and the number of heavy loads of meat I've packed out.

Not trying to sound like a wanker. Just curious. If anyone has used a 5500 more than me I'd love to hear about it.
Definitely sounds like you put your time in. I would say there are plenty of sheep hunters up here who could give you a run for your money though lol.

Definitely sounds like you put your time in. I would say there are plenty of sheep hunters up here who could give you a run for your money though lol.
Absolutely, mate. In terms of miles covered in tough ground, you're probably right. In terms of animals packed out, it's hard for North Americans to keep up due to the nature of the systems. Point is, it's not a competition and we all enjoy getting out there, but I've got plenty of use on the pack.