Thoughts on Cabelas Alaknak Tent?

rt520

FNG
Just wondering if any of you guys have one and what your thoughts are on it? Thinking about getting the 12'x12' with vestibule and stove. Thanks

Awesome tent, we have taken one to Alaska (Kodiak) and several elk drop camps as well as general car camping. Tough fairly lightweight tent. Used with a ti stove to 15 degrees on Kodiak. Sat around in Tshirts cooking and caping at night.
Great option when canvas is too heavy. I replaced the side poles with aluminum and center as well but left that at home if there were trees around and just cut a center pole. Also has a D ring on top to pulley up the center without a pole.

Mosby

WKR
I used the 12 x 12 tent last year for about a month in Montana and almost a month in Colorado. Great tent. No problems. I have the vestibule but haven't used it yet. For two guys it is great. Ok with 3 but any more and I would get a bigger tent. I bought 2 disco cots for it and they are awesome. Used the bottom bunk for clothes and equipment and top to sleep. When my sons friend stayed with us for a week, we had plenty of room. Highly recommended. Makes the tent more livable and organized. I really like mine.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Spent a week in a 12x20 in Idaho in mid November. 3 guys. Tons of room. Snow and rain. Stove was too small for it and we had what I thought was excessive condensation. With a bigger and better quality stove, it would probably be a non-issue. I did like the tent for the ease of setup and disassembly. I missed the ridge pole of a traditional wall tent where you can hang stuff to dry, hang a lantern, etc. Tough to do in an Alaknak.

arrownfly

FNG
Have owned a 12×20 for last 8 plus years and have been impressed with it so far. Used on many occasions at annual pyramid lake nevada fishing trips with recorded wind gusts up to 75 miles an hour as well as other -5 degree nights. Does seem to hold some condensation and not contain warmth quite as well as a typical wall tent. Lighter than canvas and can be set up with one person no problem.

Bulldawg

WKR
Love my 13x27.. Do I need that big of a tent? No but the price was right and if I wanted I could practice my 40 times inside I could . I have a pretty good sized stove but that tent is way big to heat up with one stove. I have hung out in canvas wall tents and they may hold heat better but the alaknak is easy to set up will keep you dry and has plenty of room. I'd like to get a 12x12 for when I go by myself to set up as a truck camp.

Spent a week in a 12x20 in Idaho in mid November. 3 guys. Tons of room. Snow and rain. Stove was too small for it and we had what I thought was excessive condensation. With a bigger and better quality stove, it would probably be a non-issue. I did like the tent for the ease of setup and disassembly. I missed the ridge pole of a traditional wall tent where you can hang stuff to dry, hang a lantern, etc. Tough to do in an Alaknak.

My dad has a 12 by 12 that I've Spend a lot of time in. We use a hose clamp and short metal rods off the center pole to be able to hang wet clothes etc.

OP
rt520

rt520

FNG
Thanks for all the responds. I was reading a few reviews on cabelas and they all seem pretty positive. Most people with issues were with condensation. I think having the smaller tent with a good stove should hopefully eliminate most of that issue. Thanks again for all the reply's I'm going to place an order in later today.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Davis tent and awning for a 12 x 14 wall tent. I have a 14x16 Davis and would not trade for a dozen alaknaks.
Canvis holds heat better, far more durable, has the ability to add on vestibules and more. Far more versatile it is not like you are backpacking with it. Price is comparable

I have a 12X12 with vestibule. Love the tent. I have had mine for about 10 years. Several of those years the tent was set up all September for elk season, plus several family camping trips each summer. Cabelas sells a center pole hanger that works great for hanging a lantern. Condensation can be a problem if you do not keep the side vents partially open.

I have slept 5 guys in mine for a couple nights. I have the disco bunk cots, plus two more in the main tent and another cot in the vestibule. Great set up for 2-3 guys.

jmez

WKR
Buddy had a 13x27 that we used at basecamp for a year. Great tent. Three of us stayed in it, was like a palace. We had a stove and it snowed/rained quite a bit that trip and didn't have any condensation issues. Don't think you will have any regrets.

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Another option, the Alaknak seems to get the most attention but I have the Cabelas Big Horn tent. I picked it up last year and was planning on using it for a deer camp, but had to cancel plans due to work. That being said, we had it pitched in the yard for the kids last summer and It was pretty roomy. It's not a standard 4 sided tent, its kind of hexagonal. There's also no center pole the main pole goes around the top/outside of the tent. Definitely a different design but no pole in the middle of the tent to have to work around. Optional vestibule, floor liner, roof protector just like the alaknak's. I'm not sure if it would shed snow better or not with its design, I'd like to think so.

Just a heads up... if you don't mind a non-traditional design, I am pretty satisfied with my Big Horn.

As far as stoves go, if you're able to handle the weight, Four Dog, which is next on my list of things to purchase!

MegaMoose

FNG
Just picked up a 12x12 with the vestibule for $500 off Facebook ad. Gonna use it on a late season Idaho hunt. Hope its as warm as the reviews ive read say. Any recommendations on a stove I should be looking at?

I bought a 12 x 12 Cabela’s Alaknak tent with vestibule and stove on Craigslist. Seller delivered to my workplace. $600 total. Elk hunted in Nevada and Utah. Very happy!