Thoughts on age?

Thess87

WKR
My wife’s been on this deer and we was talking about it and she mentioned giving him a pass another year cause she didn’t think he was that old. Context he’s right at the 150 mark and we don’t have a ton of those running around and there is others that hunt anointed property but if we kill him he for sure won’t make it. But if he was really only like 3.5 with that mass already he could be something special. He is obviously alittle run down from the rut in this pic. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 46AA73EF-7F42-452E-92E5-3326D4A8BD2F.jpeg
    46AA73EF-7F42-452E-92E5-3326D4A8BD2F.jpeg
    977.4 KB · Views: 122

Dryfly1

FNG
Looks 3.5 to me. hard to score without more pics. Nice deer. Here is what I tell people. If you decide to pass him, will you be unhappy if someone else kills him?

-M

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with TSAMP. If she's not excited to kill it, why kill it. Might make another hunter happier, or it might make a monster next year.

As for age--the neck and up could be 4.5, but the body doesn't look older than 2.5 years. So call it 3.5 I guess!

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Looks young to me. I also don't think he's 150. Not that you asked. I'd feel ok passing if she's killed deer that size already.
I got probably 1000 pics of him and have seen him on the hoof several times. He’s not over 50 but he’s within a couple inches if not.

She’s killed quite a few bigger but that’s not the deal she would be happy with him but it’s just the thought of if you kill the few with the genetics to actually get giant before they’re there your not gonna have the giants to kill. She’d be fine either way. I was just wondering if I was misjudging his age. I’m not doubting the score.

If you/your wife kill him because you think the neighbors will kill him if they see him, you just turned into the neighbors. I would guess 3.5 years old. I've been dealing with this exact scenario for that last 25 years and it can be tough and very disheartening when you hear the young up and comer 1xx" buck got shot on the neighboring property. I always tell people if I kill this buck this year there is a zero % chance he makes it to next year, but if I pass that buck has a chance and that's the chance you have to take if you want to kill mature deer. As far as the genetics go, I wouldn't worry about it, it's not like this buck just started breeding, he's been spreading his genes for the 3 seasons. Some Studies have also shown that doe's can have an even greater genetic impact on the antlers than the sire.

Post some pre-rut pics if you want a more accurate age estimate. Better yet pics with him next to other bucks.

My wife’s been on this deer and we was talking about it and she mentioned giving him a pass another year cause she didn’t think he was that old. Context he’s right at the 150 mark and we don’t have a ton of those running around and there is others that hunt anointed property but if we kill him he for sure won’t make it. But if he was really only like 3.5 with that mass already he could be something special. He is obviously alittle run down from the rut in this pic. Thoughts?
Looks like a 4.5 yo to me I agree he's not quite 150 but it's a beautiful deer. If she wouldn't be happy with him then pass him and see if she can find a deer that does. If she liked him and wants to try and take him do that. He looks great.

LostArra

WKR
I've never been much of a deer scorer mainly because I'm usually hunting areas without many deer worthy of scoring until this season. Habitat conditions must have been good this summer because we are seeing a lot of young deer with bigger antlers than usual. The OP's deer looks to fit in that category.

Wind gypsy's "leggy" comment was my first thought too.

I have learned that a 150 is an "oh sh*# deer, no binoculars needed".

I don't judge anyone's shoot or don't shoot decisions.

fatlander

WKR
He’s 3.5.

If she’s happy with him, shoot him. If she’s not happy with him, don’t shoot him. I’d have a really hard time passing a pretty 10 with my bow in hand that I thought was pushing 150 regardless of age, but that’s me.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
I will say 3.5 as well. Also the picture doesn't do it justice but looking at that picture that isn't a 150" deer. Beam length, tine length, and spread just isn't there. At least looking at that picture.