Thought Process on 30 vs 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

I am in the market for a new sleeping bag this year and admittedly am a gear junkie so I am trying to weigh my decision of getting a do it all bag or more specific to the seasons. I have ruled out quilts. So, here is my hang up:

I mostly hunt early season Scouting - October. Also, majority of my hunts are in the Sierras so generally dry and mild.

Scenario #1: Go with a high end 30 degree down sleeping bag. definitely would cover me in the early season and use my down puffy jacket and long johns when the bag starts to hit its limit. In general I am utilizing my clothing system to the fullest. This would allow me to drop almost a pound of my kit.

Scenario #2: Go with 15 degree high end down sleeping bag. Be a little over kill in the early months but that what the zipper is for to keep open. Now I have a bag that I can use into deep fall. Also, nice to sleep in just a t shirt. I do not do many later season hunts so if I do I could use my puffy to run the 15 degree into high single digits.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. My real issue is it worth packing the extra weight for the added insurance of a 15 degree bag.

AndyB

WKR
Its easier and much less fuss to open a zip if you are hot, than it is to wake up cold and then convince yourself to get up and add layers. I know i would probably lie in a limbo like state for a while before i put more layers on, less quality sleep. Im sure there are plenty that will chime in who use the 30 bag and additional layers who are happy doing so.

OP
F
Is money an issue? If not, you have your answer, buy both. If so, I'd go with the 15 personally. I hate being cold when sleeping. It's way easier to cool down when hot than warm up when cold.

I agree with you Mike but I was trying to stick with one bag for now. If I went with two bags I probably would go 0 degree and 30 degree.

OP
F
Its easier and much less fuss to open a zip if you are hot, than it is to wake up cold and then convince yourself to get up and add layers. I know i would probably lie in a limbo like state for a while before i put more layers on, less quality sleep. Im sure there are plenty that will chime in who use the 30 bag and additional layers who are happy doing so.

This was my thought process which is why the 15 degree bag was is on order, but I have a couple days to cancel so I thought I would get some feed back about the two options. Thanks for your input.

Nemo and other companies make bags with zippered vents. Several years back Backpacker magazine reviewed the Nemo zero degree bag stating that when vented properly, it is comfortable fron zero to forty degrees. You might want to look at such bags

I am in a similar case-use as you and only have a 30* bag and have never regretted that decision.

If/when I ever do a late season trip somewhere truly cold maybe I would consider adding a 0*, but I run pretty warm naturally and would rather sleep in my baselayers and/or puffy than shell out hundreds on another bag.

YMMV

OP
F
Nemo and other companies make bags with zippered vents. Several years back Backpacker magazine reviewed the Nemo zero degree bag stating that when vented properly, it is comfortable fron zero to forty degrees. You might want to look at such bags
Yeah nemo is to heavy for what you get. 800 fill is their max. and their temps ratings are not as accurate.

mlgc20

WKR
Either way, you will be fine. Personally, I prefer a 30 degree bag. If I do need to go to a lower temp than normal, I can bring a sleeping bag liner. But, then I am only carrying that extra weight on the rare occasion it's needed. As opposed to carrying the extra weight of a 15 on every trip. Also, typically if you really need a 15 degree bag you will already have other forms of insulation with you (fleece, puffy jacket, etc.). Those can add some significant warmth to your 30. That's of course, assuming you have plenty of room in your bag that you can add some layers without compressing the sleeping bag down.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
To me I want a bigger bag and a warmer bag. I'm willing to take a little extra weight to sleep good and be warm. I've slept cold a bunch of times and it sucks every time. I bought one of the big agnes diamond park 15* bag. It has a system where you can slide your pad into the bag and there is no bag underneath you like a quilt but it zips up all the way. Plus it has a place to secure a pillow. It's much, much bigger than a mummy bag but still light enough to take into the backcountry.

I personally have a 10 and a 30.

yes, I can carry my 10 and cover all the bases, but I’m already a hot sleeper, opening up the 10 on a 40 degree night it’s still too damn hot to be comfortable. I’m either all the way out the bag and cold, or halfway in and sweltering.

the 30 degree filled the summer/early fall niche perfectly. It’s less weight, and up to 40-45 or so I’m okay with being in the bag.

I realize buying two wasn’t something you were looking to do - if I were you I’d probably just buy the 10 but know that your sleep quality will likely suffer when it’s warmer out.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever try adding a puffy/insulated blanket over their bag? Like a rupl puffy or nemo?

big Agnes anvil horn 15 degree with q core pad. Super comfortable from 60 degrees down to low teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the market for a new sleeping bag this year and admittedly am a gear junkie so I am trying to weigh my decision of getting a do it all bag or more specific to the seasons. I have ruled out quilts. So, here is my hang up:

I mostly hunt early season Scouting - October. Also, majority of my hunts are in the Sierras so generally dry and mild.

Scenario #1: Go with a high end 30 degree down sleeping bag. definitely would cover me in the early season and use my down puffy jacket and long johns when the bag starts to hit its limit. In general I am utilizing my clothing system to the fullest. This would allow me to drop almost a pound of my kit.

Scenario #2: Go with 15 degree high end down sleeping bag. Be a little over kill in the early months but that what the zipper is for to keep open. Now I have a bag that I can use into deep fall. Also, nice to sleep in just a t shirt. I do not do many later season hunts so if I do I could use my puffy to run the 15 degree into high single digits.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. My real issue is it worth packing the extra weight for the added insurance of a 15 degree bag.

Option #3, get a 30 then pick up an insert for when you need it. Got a BA McKinnis last year and love it... works as a summer bag by itself and I’ve slept in my 20 bag to subzero temps.

Rokwiia

WKR
I would always choose to be warmer than cooler so if I were the OP, I'd choose the 15F bag. YMMV

Another option is to use two bags. Let's say you already have a 40F bag and decide to get a 30F one. Combining the two should produce a rating of 15F. I believe the formula is [x -(70 – y)/2 = z]. It also gives you a wide range of temperature ratings between the two.

I do this when I combine my Western Mountaineering 35F bag with a 10F quilt. It provides the opportunity to get to a colder rating but still allows me the flexibility to remove the 35F bag if it isn't as cold as expected. Also, if something happens to accidentally wet-out one bag in the field, I have another one available.

Generally, there is a small weight penalty but not excessive. I can live with that given all the flexibility it provides.

OP
F
Man i'm leaning towards sticking with the already ordered 15 degree bag, but some of you fellas have made some compelling arguments for going with a 30 degree bag.

VernAK

WKR
For that climate and temperatures, I'd go with a quality quilt rated for you lowest temperature as they are much easier to open and adjust for warmer nights. Enlightened Equipment makes a good one.

OP
F
For that climate and temperatures, I'd go with a quality quilt rated for you lowest temperature as they are much easier to open and adjust for warmer nights. Enlightened Equipment makes a good one.

Thanks for the comment. I've ruled out quilts as I just don't want to deal with pad attachment systems when its cold and drafty.