Thinking about ditching my puffy pants

How many of you hunt without puffy pants during the general firearms season?

I’ve always packed them, but I feel like taking a slightly heavier puffy jacket (Chamberlain vs Umcompagre) and leaving the puffy pants might be the way to go. I just don’t find myself taking the time to put them on that often, and when I do the amount of warmth is somewhat underwhelming. I’m usually fine with a mid weight base layer at most.

I usually carry my sleeping bag in my pack, and I feel like I could just pull that out and throw it over my legs if it gets super cold for extended sits.

Anyone else ditch their puffy pants from their pack?

Geewhiz

WKR
I mean if you've got your sleeping bag in your pack I dont think you would need puffy pants too. I havent, however, ever heard of anybody carrying their sleeping bag with them on day hunts...

If it were me I'd keep the puffy layers and ditch the bag.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I never take in a pack on a mountain type hunt. I do use them in a treestand once I get situated. Also can be handy on a cold car camp in a tent but also can just use your bag.

rideold

WKR
Nope.....but I don't own any either :) I just carry a warm down jacket compressed down and stuffed in the bottom of my pack. Figure if the going gets rough at least I have an extra warm layer. Been some sub 0 mornings I would have been pretty happy to have puffy pants though!

I can't stand any bulk around my legs, merino layers are barely tolerable for me. We hunted 3rd season in CO this year with some days being in the negative temps and the rest low single digits with highs in the teens and I got along fine with Kuiu Axis pants or Sitka Timberline pants with a good set of merino legs. Obviously I can't sit terribly long, sat for a little over an hour here and there without issue though.

puffy pants & coat always in my pack during gun season. But if you keep your sleeping bag in pack (for safety I assume) then I'd ditch the puffy pants.

twall13

WKR
I guess it depends on your hunting style. If I'm constantly on the move I won't pack my puffy pants. That happens a lot where I rifle hunt elk in the timber.

If I'm doing a lot of sitting and glassing they are a lifesaver. I know there are guys that pack a Kifaru Woobie or something similar for those situations and I think if I did that I wouldn't need the puffy pants. If you are carrying your sleeping bag and are willing to get it out in the dirt and use it that way then I wouldn't pack the puffy pants.

Out of curiosity, what puffy pants do you have? You said their warmth is underwhelming so I'm just curious.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on your hunting style. If I'm constantly on the move I won't pack my puffy pants. That happens a lot where I rifle hunt elk in the timber.

If I'm doing a lot of sitting and glassing they are a lifesaver.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
this is me too. it's situational.

Puffy pants were my #1 best thing I bought this year. Glassing for hours on a knob with constant wind, 30-40 degrees and no sun they kept me in the game. Same for predator call stands in sub-40 degrees where I have to sit completely still for over an hour.

I have the Black Ovis ones. I'd rather pack them than rely on multiple long john layers which are much less efficient. I hike hot so I'm better off with a non-insulated pant when moving and adding a puffy layer when I stop. Taking them tomorrow on a cat hunt in the snow, they'll go under my ski pants shell when I do set up to call.

I didn't pack them on say August high country bear hunts or October muzzy elk since it was either warm enough or I wasn't spending much time glassing/sitting.

fishslap

WKR
You could consider enlightened equipment torrid pants if you want something at less weight that still bumps the warmth up. They weigh very little and are pretty warm. Might need a light rain pant shell over them if there is any moisture or if moving around. I bought them for hike in ice fishing and to stretch my sleeping bag rating.

OP
B
puffy pants & coat always in my pack during gun season. But if you keep your sleeping bag in pack (for safety I assume) then I'd ditch the puffy pants.
Yeah I usually spike in, but keep my sleeping bag with me in case shit goes down and I might not make it back to camp, especially if I’m headed out for the afternoon/evening. I’ve learned a hard lesson in the past by getting stuck in some rapidly dropping temps after sweating my ass off going up after elk mid afternoon.

I definitely think they have a place in my clothing line up, but for my typical hunting style carrying a bag and puffy pants seems excessive.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Puffy pants and foot warmers were “game changers” now I can’t live without either. If it is 10 or colder I use both and sit for hours.

prm

WKR
Bring a Kifaru Woobie. Brilliant when glassing in the very cold and windy conditions. Bonus, you can wrap your feet up too!

and… at night you can wrap around sleeping bag and stay tolerably warm even if you’re not smart and have a old flat 20deg bag and temps are down to zero at night. Pro tip!

Got stuck in the woods overnight once, was damn glad I had my Kelvins with me. Won't leave em behind ever again. Same for my tarp.

Blackbird

FNG
Bought some of the Sitka 3/4 puffy pants and used them in 2nd and 3rd season this year and am very glad I did. I carried them everyday and honestly for the minimal room and weight they put in my pack and the warmth they provided while glassing they will always be in there for later season hunts.

mtnkid85

WKR
I always taking them out and adding them back in depending on what I plan on doing and what the weather is doing.
I had never owned them, then just a few years ago bought a pair. I feel like they are worth their weight in gold when its actually cold out!

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I've been contemplating removing my UA down pants (16oz) when I spike out and just use my quilt and bivy. The full zip pants can be a pain to put on and off, and they don't cover your feet.

When it's below 15F I need some insulation on my legs if I plan to sit for more than 30min.