The spotter bug is getting me

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
So I am a year out from a guided hunt in the area of Cody, Wyoming. Currently running a set of SLC 10x42. I have a pro master tripod with outdoorsman pan head that I’ll be using the SLC on. This will the late hunt, middle of October time frame. I’ve been tossing the idea of getting a spotter and adding it into the gear arsenal. I do plan on going back west for DIY the following year or so.
My question are as follow
My budget cap would probably be a Kowa 77. Do you even think it’s worth it? How and when are you guys using the spotter? Maybe go for something more budget friendly like razor HD(military discount) or even the athlon.
If you were in my shoes, what would be your take on it?!?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d have to throw the Tract Toric in for consideration. Excellent glass and you can get fixed power eyepieces for it with a mil reticle. The image is absolutely superb.

John

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Kowa 77x is a great spotter. I 100% recommend calling Doug @ CameraLand to see if he'll honor the Father's Day price; it was a damn good price.

I use my spotting scope (Kowa 554 and Swaro STX 65/95) for confirmations and use my SLCs (10s/15s) for glassing and general use. When I see something of potential interest, the spotter comes out.

Hey do you recall the price? Theres a 4th of July sale going on right now

Hey do you recall the price? Theres a 4th of July sale going on right now

May be the same price they have now ($1999). Do recommend calling Doug and asking for the best price and let him know that you are a Rokslide member.

Mirxivus

FNG
Even in AZ and NM where in some areas I can see for miles and miles I could easily do without a spotter and killed many elk in the past without one. Back then if I was going to glass binoculars and tripod did fine. Once I could afford a quality spotter it was certainly useful but I can go for days and not carry or touch it. OTC in CO for most places I’ve been I won’t bother to carry it in, it’ll never get used. That’s why I say maybe, it really depends on where and when you are hunting.

And how much extra $$$ you have to spend:)
Would you recommend a newbie to western hunting get a $800ish bino or a $300 bino and $500 spotter? I was originally planning on going the latter route but seeing people like you talking about how spotters aren't all that necessary makes me think twice about it.

Would you recommend a newbie to western hunting get a $800ish bino or a $300 bino and $500 spotter? I was originally planning on going the latter route but seeing people like you talking about how spotters aren't all that necessary makes me think twice about it.
All on binoculars and tripod/head.

If you were in my shoes, what would be your take on it?!?

Get a spotting scope. No reason to go high-end though. You're not trying to keep up with the "who has the most and greatest" crowd. Just get a normal, lightweight, compact scope that's in the $400 to $600 range. It's plenty sufficient.

Unless you're being seen on television, or trying for 100,000 views/likes on YouTube, or simply trying to impress everyone on internet forums, no reason to blow your load on Swarovski and the like.

I havent looked through a lot of spotters in that range so maybe theres one thats not bad out there but when i had a vortex diamond back in that range i thought it was completely useless campared to $1000 binos.
I read all the time athelon is a great option in that proce range though. But generally getting the best binos you can is the best advice to follow forst

I intentionally bought a heavy Swarovski spotter so I would quit packing it. I'm not worried about inches of horn most years. Anything I can reach in a day I can determine if I want him with good binoculars. Have fun.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
If you're military Kowa will give you a fairly nice discount, I bought a 774 from them about a month ago and got a very good deal on a brand new 774 with stay on case. Contact them directly, I spent under $2k for my setup, can't wait to use it this fall for moose.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider

Id try a used vortex viper hd and an athlon ares 15-45

a spotter you should have, they come in handy for range work as well as hunting/scouting, it's a far better judging tool than searching tool, binos on tripod is where 98% of your glassing will be, you'll hardly every use the thing imo (as others have stated), so mitigate it's actual usage time with minimal weight possible but still need quality for judging which is where kowa comes in, if only to have one do all western spotter that can pack easy and chase sheep as well then kowa 554 would be it, for those guys who have to count rings on sheep way up on the continent then maybe something bigger with more x would be the hot ticket

ibchez

FNG
Even in AZ and NM where in some areas I can see for miles and miles I could easily do without a spotter and killed many elk in the past without one. Back then if I was going to glass binoculars and tripod did fine. Once I could afford a quality spotter it was certainly useful but I can go for days and not carry or touch it. OTC in CO for most places I’ve been I won’t bother to carry it in, it’ll never get used. That’s why I say maybe, it really depends on where and when you are hunting.

And how much extra $$$ you have to spend:)
I hear you on the OTC hunts. I am aiming more for the early deer rifle hunts. I think with the much "bigger" country I might invest in a good spotter.

DeadeyeTy

FNG
I had a razor 65 mm for years and loved it. Just upgraded to a Swaro ATX because of the use my razor got. Though it may or may not be a need I’d also take into account just how fun of a toy spotters are. Take great pics to remember your hunt and size up bulls. I was in the same predicament as you when I started toying with the idea and I wish I would have got one way sooner. The Razor is a great entry level scope no matter which generation.

ibchez

FNG
I had a razor 65 mm for years and loved it. Just upgraded to a Swaro ATX because of the use my razor got. Though it may or may not be a need I’d also take into account just how fun of a toy spotters are. Take great pics to remember your hunt and size up bulls. I was in the same predicament as you when I started toying with the idea and I wish I would have got one way sooner. The Razor is a great entry level scope no matter which generation.
I could see the "fun" with a spotter. I have a pair of diamondback 15x56s and even those are fun to look through

ibchez

FNG
a spotter you should have, they come in handy for range work as well as hunting/scouting, it's a far better judging tool than searching tool, binos on tripod is where 98% of your glassing will be, you'll hardly every use the thing imo (as others have stated), so mitigate it's actual usage time with minimal weight possible but still need quality for judging which is where kowa comes in, if only to have one do all western spotter that can pack easy and chase sheep as well then kowa 554 would be it, for those guys who have to count rings on sheep way up on the continent then maybe something bigger with more x would be the hot ticket
I am leaning towards a spotter with a few hunts I have planned. I dont think my 10x will be enough to tell me the hike will be worth it if you catch my drift.