The right bag for Alaska?

I am heading to Kodiak in October and will be doing a drop in Caribou hunt. We are planning for rain and night time temps from about 20-30 degrees. I only have down bags today and know I need to get a synthetic as an extra insurance policy against moisture.

We will be dropped into a lake by plane and won't have far to haul our camp gear, so weight and compressibility are not a key factor, but are somewhat important to be able to get all of my gear in a reasonably sized pack.

Wiggy's has the superlight bag on sale for $150 right now. I am looking at the 0 degree. Looks like it is around 4.5 pounds for the regular wide model.

Or....

I originally was keen on the Kifaru Slick bag 0 degree. That one in the regular wide is about 4.12 pounds, at a price tag of $444

So, I am thinking that I buy the wiggy's, and even if I don't ever use it again, @ $150 it would be a great bag for Alaska. Am I making the right choice?

Wiggys have been working fine on Kodiak for decades. You won't go wrong there.

You probably won't need a 0F rate bag, but it won't hurt. I've only used a 15F rate bag on Kodiak, and that included November at goat elevation. At lower lake elevations night time temps are more likely to be in the 40's.

Wiggys have been working fine on Kodiak for decades. You won't go wrong there.

You probably won't need a 0F rate bag, but it won't hurt. I've only used a 15F rate bag on Kodiak, and that included November at goat elevation. At lower lake elevations night time temps are more likely to be in the 40's.

^^^100% correct!^^^

OP
B
^^^100% correct!^^^

100% correct about what? Picking the wiggys bag, or go with a warmer temp rating?

Thanks yellowknife, the temps we were looking at were on the low end according to our outfitter, so planning for the extreme end. Would you persoanally pack a 0 or a 20 degree bag? I don't like to sleep in anything but merino base layers, so piling on a lot of clothes doesn't sound fun to sleep in if it gets colder than expected.

OP
B
The more I think about it, its hard for me to turn away from the Kifaru because it seems more usable (lighter, more packable, etc) after the trip...

I also get good deals with Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Nemo, and North Face...if anyone has any suggestions for bags out of those companies.

kodiakfly

WKR
Yellowknife said it. Wiggy's work well for me, and the weight and compressibility you mention pretty much point to the Wiggy's. I've never used a Kifaru before, but I'm sure it'd work just fine as well.

And I'd still do Wiggy's over the other brands you mentioned. I've got some MH bags, but I still usually pack the Wiggy's if I think I'm gonna need it.

I'd be happy with a 15 degree bag on Kodiak in October, but 0F wouldn't hurt. Might depend on future uses. If you ever though you might do a Sept Moose hunt in the interior, that 0F bag would be nice.

For camping next to a lake, I'd just buy the Wiggys. I don't own one, but I've seen them used many times. They work well, and are low fuss. For non-backpacking, I'm not sure what spending $300 more on a Slick bag will buy you over that. For that matter, I've seen them backpacked pretty far into the mountains by a few people, and don't recall any complaints. A compression sack will suck them down pretty good. a

The Mountain Hardware bags are good and lighter/more compact, but the zipper is more finicky and they are less roomy than either of the others you mentioned. Haven't tried the Marmot synthetics, but generally I like their down bags better than MH, so I'd certainly consider one.

oldgoat

WKR
Resale value on the Kifaru is insane, don't know about the others. I have the 20 degrees slick, I would want 0 if I was going to Alaska and the wide bag, or get the 20 and a woobie. I bought mine used and got the regular width, it's a little on the slim side.

A quality down bag with a good dry shelter will be fine. Especially if you are bringing a stove. I was on Afognak this October in the worst rain and wind I have ever hunted in. My down bag didn't fail.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have to support the Wiggy's as well. Having lived and hunted AK for 3+ years it never let me down. Would not trust the down bags. Only negative with the Wiggy's is weight and bulk.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Think of all the other gear you can buy with the $300 you save by buying the Wiggy's bag over the Kifaru. Heck, you can get a synthetic quilt and save weight over both, and compressibility. Price would be somewhere in the middle of the others.

kodiakfly

WKR
For that matter, I've seen them backpacked pretty far into the mountains by a few people, and don't recall any complaints. A compression sack will suck them down pretty good.

THANK YOU! There's an idea that a packing a Wiggy's is like packing a bean bag chair. Yeah, ok, they're bigger than other bags, but I've packed mine a great deal and it's very doable. It's never been a space nuisance. Weight...got me there, they do weigh a big more, but not to the extent that they're often made out to be. On a fly-in hunt to a lake camp, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

If you can get good deals on MH, I would definitely take a look at the Lamina series bags also. Not horribly expensive or heavy, and pack down very well.

OP
B
Thanks everyone, I ordered the zero degree wiggys and am going to see how I like it. I've got time, so if I don't think it will work I can look at other options.

I'll let everyone know what I think after I get it and spend a night in it.

Lil-Rokslider
I have packed a Wiggy's bag all over Alaska hunting.

OP
B
I've been looking at one of the 30" wide pads to have a nice comfy bed, but I also have been thinking about one of the ultralight cots. I think we will be in tents with propane heaters to dry out, because where we are going there is no wood to burn in wood stoves. I am concerned about the legs on the cot damaging the tent floor though...any feedback on cots in a tent?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A wiggys is tough to beat for the price and what it does. Def not the lightest or the smallest when packed but they work and usually you aren't packing more than 5 or so miles from from where you were dropped off on kodiak so weight is less critical in my experience than hiking in 10-25 miles one way on a fall sheep hunt.

I've been looking at one of the 30" wide pads to have a nice comfy bed, but I also have been thinking about one of the ultralight cots. I think we will be in tents with propane heaters to dry out, because where we are going there is no wood to burn in wood stoves. I am concerned about the legs on the cot damaging the tent floor though...any feedback on cots in a tent?

It totally depends on what type of tent you're using and the type of ground that you're camping on. We use them all the time on Kodiak in Arctic Oven tents, but AO's are super bomber tents from the floor up. You can also add a heavy duty canvas floor saver to better insure floor protection. I know folks that use cots in Bomb Shelters and don't suffer any floor problems either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
If you have the $ you may want to go with WM. Take a look at the ratings! I believe WM has several that have a gortex outer? I've been using down on my last 4 Alaska sheep and mtn goat hunts but bulk and weight are super important. My down bag has a waterproof outer. After each night I let it air dry for a while then put it in a waterproof dry bag as an added precaution during the day.

From what I've heard WM is pretty close with their comfort ratings. I'm skin and bones so use a 0 degree bag all the time. On my August sheep and goat hunts I open it up if it's warm and zip it up when cold. For me a 0 degree bag is a must but I'm a wimp! I'd rather have the option of opening up the bag than being cold and sleepless. If it gets super cold you can always wear more layers to bed or put a coat over the top of the bag. Everyone is different so I would recommend what ever bag rating you are comfortable with! I would freeze in a 15 degree bag....but that's me!

Grumman

WKR
The second Avery Podcast has some really good discussion on bags if you haven't listened to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk