The moose are migrating

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
The moose have been moving more this time of year. Maybe just my observations over the years. But we're seeing more come through the yard, as usual. The bulls are losing their antlers. Went for a short ride yesterday n say 8 or so. 1 had antlers. Did have a little guy, 3 year old yesterday that gave me a surprise. I let our chess out n looked up n saw another 3 year old, 32" antlers, put his head down n start towards our dog. Moose is 20 yards away. Glad that she obeys command.
The pussywillows are going to be popping out. The birch limbs look red in the morning light. In not a botanist but suspect there is more nutrients moving back up the trees that helps. And they had that urge.
Soon the migrating birds will be here. The moose are moving back towards where they go for the summer it's spring.

t_carlson

WKR
How far do moose migrate up there?

We used to get a moose migration in Montana. Not sure if there's not enough moose now, or if the winters aren't as bad or what.

Its funny, most people don't think of them as migratory animals.

We also have a whitetail migration in Montana.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Moose still migrate here in Montana. Interesting they are still packing antlers, seems they start dropping here around Christmas, and are all dropped by the third week of January.

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
How far. I can say this, biologists have shown me places where tagged cow moose moose from 20 to 50 or so. Go to wintering grounds for winter n migrate with the snow melt to where they will calf. Probably hang fairly close. Bulls are bulls. Probably starting to break up a bit from hanging out. More solitary. Next Aug maybe hang out talking about the girls. Then everyone on their own.
Then start getting ready for winter n eat n chill out.
So I'd say cows n yearlings stay within not real far. Bulls go their ways to where their food leads them along with going back to their home turf. I'd could only give a guesstimate.
I'm just blessed to be able to watch them. Every moose I've seen looked very healthy n lots of twins

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Looking like a much better winter for moose survival than last year!! Hopefully we can string a few mild winters together and see the numbers come up!!

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
How far do moose migrate up there?

We used to get a moose migration in Montana. Not sure if there's not enough moose now, or if the winters aren't as bad or what.

Its funny, most people don't think of them as migratory animals.

We also have a whitetail migration in Montana.

Several studies in AK and the Yukon have documented moose migrating as far as 150 miles between summer and winter habitat and using that same migration route year after year. On average, bulls move farther than cows and there is a lot of variation in migration habits of moose living in and around the same areas. Some move a lot, some only a little.

It can be easy to think of moose as dumb swamp donkeys, but the more I learn about them the more fascinated I am with some of the complexities and unique habits they possess.

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned above, a lot of variables. My thoughts are that if they are content where they are and can survive their why move.
Bulls can be boys n just go cruising, no responsibilities like taking care of a calf. Or just hang out. Eventually they find the cows. When hunting find the cows
If they have plenty of food n feel safe why move. Mother Nature doesn't like taking risks. And for most of the year they are thinking with their brain