The Fudd Battery Vs. ?

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
As new cartridges and rifles come out, I have become more in touch with my Fudd side. I was in Sportsmans yesterday. The rifle racks were full - but empty of ANY wood-stocked rifles. It made me a little sad for a time gone by.

Here is my Fudd Battery to get it done in North America. The following assumptions apply: I am a reloader, I live/hunt near big predators, I can 'dot to all' with these five.

1. Winchester FW in 30-06 - This will be at home in the mountains or plains. Since I reload, I can take coyotes (110gr) or big bears (200 or 220gr). Just like J.Y. Jones demonstrated, I can take any NA Big game animal.

2. Winchester 69A - The 22lr should be a staple in any battery. Nothing special about the 69A, I just happen to own a nice example. If I could buy anything it would be a Winchester 52 or a Anschutz. Small game and practice time beware. Ruger 10/22 get a honorable mention too.

3. Wincheser M12 'Heavy Duck' - Notice a theme here? The 12GA heavy duck will cover all my shotgun needs, light to heavy. The M12 is the standard all pumps were built on. I'd also tip the hat to a classic browning here.

4. S&W M29 - 44 Magnum with a 4" barrel. This is because of the bear country I can spend time in. It could be loaded with the Keith 44SPCL loads and do what ever you need or ramped up to full power magnum loads. Everyday carry is a possibilty with this pistol, a lot easier around these parts than in a more populace area with people adverse to guns.

5. Ruger Mark1 - A nice 22lr autoloader that is easy to carry and a blast to shoot. As a trapper, this is an easy line gun.

Bonus - could be a dedicated predator rifle or a Big Game back-up.
Mine is a M94 Sporter 30-30. With 170gr Partitions, it can handle the meduim and heavy stuff if needed.

As you can see, I went Winchester heavy in ultimate Fudd tradition.

What is your 5 gun battery? New or old, let's hear it and why it is superior...

P.S.
I know, I know, why only five. Buy what you want, etc... I get it. If you look not too hard around here you'll turn up more than 5 or 6.

pk_

WKR
Marlin 336 .32wpsl (favorite gun)

Ruger American 30-06 (do it all)

Remington 870 12 ga field and rifled barrel (does the job)

Old CVA in-line muzzleloader, no clue what model. (Reliable track driver)

I wouldn’t go hungry if all my other guns disappeared. No animal I can’t kill and no place I can’t hunt with them 4. I do need a 22lr tho 🤔

Axlrod

WKR
Win pre-64 30/06- was my namesake grandfather's
Win M270 22 lr. pump- it was my first rifle
Ruger #1 218 Bee- beautiful well handling rifle
Remington 722 222 Rem- nice plain & functional
Benelli Nova pump 12 ga- have a bunch of shotguns prettier but this one's a death ray, and it was my dad's.

Handguns should have their own section! lol
Ruger Mark III 22 lr. 6 7/8"- bought new in 1992 many rounds and many miles on that one.
Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw 41 Mag (3 screws should have their own list)
S&W 686 357 4"- my favorite to shoot.
S&W 329 pd 44M 4"- When you load the cylinder it doubles the weight of the gun LOL. It gets taken when a heavier one would be left behind.
Kimber 1911 45ACP this one is usually pretty close by.
T-C Contender 45 Colt/410 very versatile

11boo

WKR
You can really do a lot with a good -06. Mine is a M70 too.
The shotgun, I have moved to benelli. M2, recoil management with heavy loads is better than any pump guns I have. Handles birdshot easily too.
I really am sold on that 45/70. Light to carry and accurate in its range.
.22 is covered by Ruger. 10/22 and 22/45. Got a can coming for them.
Handguns, no griz here, but I have that damn 44 just in case. Prefer a 45 auto.

I have been given the fudd stare when this .308 goes elk hunting. One guy told me I can’t hunt with a .223, lol.

E000435D-F614-45E4-A0D5-201B41DF31B0.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
They were bought in this order beginning in 2014 when I only had two revolvers and that was it :

.308 Win Savage Trophy Hunter XP package. - together with a CZ 452 American Scout 22LR for the boys first rifle.

Then Obama foolishness, so bought an AR even though I had several other weapons I'd have liked to acquire before that.

Then, since my adventures had me creeping thru some real tight paths thru thick stuff, such that I became distinctly aware of how long and cumbersome the scoped bolt gun would be to bring to bear and on target if my intended quarry, in this instance Black Bear where to be surprised and bumped and happen to charge. So immediately after coming home from that outing I planned to buy the .30-30 lever-action 336BL.

Thengetting the .223 Rem made sense because I wanted to begin predator hunting, and figured the .223 Rem my boy could use it for deer in the thicker terrain ambush sit spot I was going to. And it'd get him some practice with centerfire, and slow him down since bolt gun, so wouldn't go thru ammo crazy fast.

Then... taking rabbits at 80+yds with that .22LR with those light weight Copper-22's proved annoying as that's about where the trajectory starts dropping off more aggressively... I formulated a plan to acquire a .17 HMR., and that plan worked exactly as I'd foreseen, and made taking the rabbits n that scenario a pleasure.

Got invited to ducks. Didn't have a shotgun. Went and got one.

Took the boy to Raahauge's "Youth Safari Day" and with the very first shot he'd ever taken with a shotgun, in this instance a 20ga.... he hit the clay first try! So I HAD to go right out and get a shotgun for him, to encourage the love for it.

Then went and got a Glock G29 as a replacement for carrying the Ruger Security Six, since wanted night sights, less weight, and more power.

And that's pretty much gets us to where we are now.

My latest wants have been something to replace the .308 with, probably 6.5 "Bleedmor" or .243 Win. Just so it'd be more pleasant to shoot, and shoot rapidly without perhaps the best/tightest wedging into the shoulder pocket when presented with a rushed shot opportunity on game.

My choice of .308 Win was based on for sure being able to take Black Bear (as that's one of the goals), and not having problems with ammo availability since I live in a metro/beach sort of area. But it seems like 6.5 doesn't lack for ammo availability, and I think I read that the military is going to move toward the 6.5 Creedmor to replace .308 based weapons for sniper engagements of intermediate distances.

And I'd also like to involve da wifey in the process of getting her some kind of pistol solution (with an eye toward later CCW/Hiking chores) so that she'd for sure have emotional attachment and joy / pride of ownership linked with the tool, with the intent that it'd lead to greater proficiency on her part since she'd likely want to enjoy range time more that way.

Other rifles I've been curious about are :

.22-250 in place of .223 Rem for Coyotes (and deer).

And since I bought a bunch of bullet/brass/powder for the .44 Mag lever gun I was gonna try with the thought of it replacing the .30-30 for an even lighter to carry option... but since it didn't shoot the lead-frees accurately, I've been thinking maybe get a .44 Mag hunting revolver at some point.

And the one which really makes no sense, since I don't particularly like recoil if I'm being honest... but I do like horsepower... is a .45-70 lever gun. There's just something about an 1895SBL that's so freakin' sexy!

OP
R

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
They were bought in this order beginning in 2014 when I only had two revolvers and that was it :

.308 Win Savage Trophy Hunter XP package. - together with a CZ 452 American Scout 22LR for the boys first rifle.

Then Obama foolishness, so bought an AR even though I had several other weapons I'd have liked to acquire before that.

Then, since my adventures had me creeping thru some real tight paths thru thick stuff, such that I became distinctly aware of how long and cumbersome the scoped bolt gun would be to bring to bear and on target if my intended quarry, in this instance Black Bear where to be surprised and bumped and happen to charge. So immediately after coming home from that outing I planned to buy the .30-30 lever-action 336BL.

Thengetting the .223 Rem made sense because I wanted to begin predator hunting, and figured the .223 Rem my boy could use it for deer in the thicker terrain ambush sit spot I was going to. And it'd get him some practice with centerfire, and slow him down since bolt gun, so wouldn't go thru ammo crazy fast.

Then... taking rabbits at 80+yds with that .22LR with those light weight Copper-22's proved annoying as that's about where the trajectory starts dropping off more aggressively... I formulated a plan to acquire a .17 HMR., and that plan worked exactly as I'd foreseen, and made taking the rabbits n that scenario a pleasure.

Got invited to ducks. Didn't have a shotgun. Went and got one.

Took the boy to Raahauge's "Youth Safari Day" and with the very first shot he'd ever taken with a shotgun, in this instance a 20ga.... he hit the clay first try! So I HAD to go right out and get a shotgun for him, to encourage the love for it.

Then went and got a Glock G29 as a replacement for carrying the Ruger Security Six, since wanted night sights, less weight, and more power.

And that's pretty much gets us to where we are now.

My latest wants have been something to replace the .308 with, probably 6.5 "Bleedmor" or .243 Win. Just so it'd be more pleasant to shoot, and shoot rapidly without perhaps the best/tightest wedging into the shoulder pocket when presented with a rushed shot opportunity on game.

My choice of .308 Win was based on for sure being able to take Black Bear (as that's one of the goals), and not having problems with ammo availability since I live in a metro/beach sort of area. But it seems like 6.5 doesn't lack for ammo availability, and I think I read that the military is going to move toward the 6.5 Creedmor to replace .308 based weapons for sniper engagements of intermediate distances.

And I'd also like to involve da wifey in the process of getting her some kind of pistol solution (with an eye toward later CCW/Hiking chores) so that she'd for sure have emotional attachment and joy / pride of ownership linked with the tool, with the intent that it'd lead to greater proficiency on her part since she'd likely want to enjoy range time more that way.

Other rifles I've been curious about are :

.22-250 in place of .223 Rem for Coyotes (and deer).

And since I bought a bunch of bullet/brass/powder for the .44 Mag lever gun I was gonna try with the thought of it replacing the .30-30 for an even lighter to carry option... but since it didn't shoot the lead-frees accurately, I've been thinking maybe get a .44 Mag hunting revolver at some point.

And the one which really makes no sense, since I don't particularly like recoil if I'm being honest... but I do like horsepower... is a .45-70 lever gun. There's just something about an 1895SBL that's so freakin' sexy!

I need to do a collection for all the kids and wife too.

11boo

WKR
Almost went 45-90 instead of the 30-30. The big gun could take you to other continents if you wanted...

45-70 would probably be better as it is more avaiable. A nice 1886 would be great!
I have an old 30/30 too. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Rugers new version of the Marlin look far nicer than my original Marlin. Excellent fit/finish and a very smooth action.
Those actions can handle far more pressure than we want to get hit with.

Macintosh

WKR
I can get behind wood guns, but I reject that that has anything to do with limiting how many. Guns and fishing rods are like golf clubs—you cant really play the game fully with only one, to say nothing of the FACT that limiting your battery is simply wrong, ethically, morally, spiritually and patriotically. I might—MIGHT—just for kicks, concede limiting myself to 16: a larger and smaller centerfire hunting rifle, a heavy range/varmint rifle, a hunting 22 rifle, a heavy range 22 rifle, a centerfire semiauto rifle, a larger pistol for home, one for range, a carry gun and a bear-country gun, a 22 pistol, a light bird-hunting shotgun and a heavier turkey/waterfowl shotgun, a clays shotgun, an in-line muzzleloader and a traditional muzzleloader.
But probably not.

Ruger 10-22 must have
Savage FVSS 22-250 for the varmints
Remington Model Seven 260 REM for the tree stand
Tikka T3 SL 7RM for the bean field
Browning HCS 300WM for the western mountains
Glock Model 26 for the bad guys
Ruger SR22 just for fun
Beretta Model A300 for the ducks
CZ-USA Redhead Premier 20 gauge O/U for the Pheasants/Dove/Quail

Got to be prepared!