The Cooler Thread........

Allrighty campers, let's talk about hunting coolers. Arguably, one of the most important tasks at hand once you've packed out an elk is to get/keep it cool, as quickly as possible, and.... to transport it back to the homestead once you break camp. What have you found that works well for you to keep and transport your processed (cut n' wrapped) or boned out elk chunks from (insert elk camp site/state here) back to (insert where you hang your hat here)? Do you feel you need the big money grip brand(s) of coolers to get the job done? How do you use your coolers throughout the hunt? My hunting buddy and I have a pretty specific way we use our iced up coolers from start to the end of our 2-3 week September hunt, successfully for a number of years. Curious to hear what other folks do.

Please, provide a "play by play" of how you employ your coolers from the beginning to the end of your hunt.

Attachments

• 2016 ID Bull.JPG
    2016 ID Bull.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 200
I have 1 150qt Igloo cooler and 2 friends that each have the same cooler. They don't mind loaning me their coolers once or twice a year since it comes back clean with some packaged meat inside. Borrowing coolers has saved me money and garage space, and helped me get 1 friend interested in hunting with me.

For ice, I just fill and freeze 2 liter bottles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a 200qt IRP Marine cooler and two Coleman Extreme 6 120's. I normally take the big IRP rotomolded and one of the Coleman's filled with frozen milk and juice jugs. Then rearrange as necessary to hold the meat and cape.

mlgc20

WKR
I take a Yeti 105 and 2 Yeti 65s. Which is enough for an elk off the bone. I fill the 105 with frozen water bottles. Then I distribute the frozen water bottles as necessary after the kill. I will usually restock with dry ice at the processor for the trip home.

elknailer

FNG
I've always taken my boned out meat to be frozen. When we leave for home I put the frozen meat in a kids blow up swimming pool and cover it with a space blanket. always still frozen when we get back to Michigan.

packer58

WKR
I refuse to spend big money on a high end cooler, If i need ice or meat to stay cold longer I cut pieces of 1" rigid insulation and line my cheaper coolers.........it works well and doesn't break the bank.
Start off freezing everything you can and it will last a good long time.

The above is what i do if i don't have my little freezer with me.

Last edited:

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I do the freezer if we go for Big Game or multiple weeks out west, Also use the Coleman 120 qt for overflow and my 65 yeti to carry truck drinks and food from camp to camp

KineKilla

WKR
We typically have 3 igloo 120's in camp. One for dry goods (snacks, chips, bread, etc.) with no ice. Keeps the mice and squirrels out of our food.
One for cold/frozen food items.
A third full of frozen 2 liter bottles or milk jugs, ice blocks, etc. This one also gets used for overflow food stuff.

When we are bringing home game we have usually consumed just about everything else and just put the boned meat or quarters in the coolers and bring it home. If we need more ice we just hit the store in our travels.

Oh, and we usually have a smaller cooler for beer and beverages. Don't like to use a big food cooler for items you're accessing often. Wastes ice with all the closing and opening.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

2 120qt igloo coolers. Plenty of space and good enough for a two day trip to locker if needed. I use the frozen water bottle trick to start, buy ice as needed, double bag to keep water off meat

Marble

WKR
I pack two medium yeti coolers with frozen gallon jugs. I put the ice chest in a walk in freezer over night prior to. Doing this lasts around 10 days. When I leave the truck I bury them in sleeping bags and gear.

I can place an entire boned elk into the two coolers with either frozen water bottles or gallon jigs on top. The meat will be almost frozen by the time I'm home a day later.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
We use a chest freezer ($75 on craigslist). We have a little suitcase generator we can fire up for 30 min to get the freezer chilling if need be. Then a combo of leaving it open at night to let air and cold air in when temps allow. Closed during warmest part of day. If we want to really freeze the meat, we can run the generator as long as needed. Works great as a dry storage to haul dry goods up to camp too.

Brillo

FNG
Thank you for the thread. As a total rookie but fussy planner this is something I had not gotten to yet. I do not own high end coolers but in Michigan, in Sept., I should have no trouble borrowing some. I really like the blow up pool idea but for later in the year.

LostArra

WKR
Coleman Extremes 120's. I was recently given a 120 Coleman Extreme Marine version and it's very nice with beefier hinges.
I don't bone out the meat. I think leg quarters are easier to pack and handle. I also think it improves meat quality.

Fatcamp

WKR
Coleman 120 is what we use. 3 fit perfect on a hitch hauler.

We have a medium RTIC as well but it is heavy and doesn't carry much so rarely goes with. In the boat during the hottest part of summer is about it.

Used a Coleman 120qt and an Igloo 120qt on both my bulls. Brought back fully processed meat the first time on dry ice. Did have to make an additional stop for more dry ice on the way home from NM to MS (stayed overnight on the road). Last fall, just brought back deboned meat on block ice. I added ~40lb more cube ice once over the two day trip home.

Brendan

WKR
I have a Yeti 105 and a Canyon 125. Do I think they're worth it? Yes. Do I think the Yeti is the better of the two? Yes. Small details. I like this size range as the bigger coolers are next to impossible to move full.

Yeti keeps ice forever, has a better gasket that won't wear out over time (rubber, not cheap foam), and I can strap it down to the hitch carrier or a bed of a truck, and lock / unlock it without removing the tie downs. With the Canyon, I can't. The tie down loops block the locking point which is a pain in the neck.... I do like the form factor of the Canyon 125 better though.

If they're going inside a locked trailer or locked topper this matters less, and I've picked up a cheap coleman for extra space in a walmart as needed. But, I've since had a couple of those fall apart in the time that my Yeti has kept on trucking.

I fill one cooler completely with ice at the beginning of the hunt, and leave it shut. Other one stores dry goods. When I get an animal it gets double wrapped and sealed in contractor bags, put in the bottom of a cooler, and packed in ice with the drain open. I've had meat in there for up to two weeks until I get it home and processed. I will repackage and drain off blood after a couple days if I can.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Yeti 105 and 65 here. Are they worth the money, in my opinion, yes. The 65 went out the back of the truck and is fine.
Ice in one and frozen jugs in the other, works for me.