That heat in North Idaho!

Wild_Aber

FNG
So hunting the Idaho panhandle this year was interesting. With the exception of a few days the temperature remained in the 70's and 80's tell well into October. We ended up taking a spike in the first week of rifle but never really heard any bugles in September. A friend of mine got his bull but said he never heard any bugles except at night. Did anyone else have any luck getting bulls to answer?

Selkirk6x

FNG
I went after it 5 days a week from the 29th to the 16th of sept, then the real world called.
Got one morning of bugles on the 3rd of September, but that was it until the 13 or 14. Had two going that day.

I'd see activity sign from the night, but never saw an elk moving after 45 min after dawn. One exception was glassing a group of 8 or 10, but that turned out to be them eating a pile of corn some POS hiked out into public lands. I even went up some places that are really hard to hunt, just to hear some bugles, and still got nothing.

Helped a buddy pack out his B tag bull, on the 10th of oct, he never heard a call. Just right place, right time.

I was solo hunting, and feeling bad about it. Most of the first 3 weeks were in the mid 80s, and I was seriously wondering how far away from my truck I could even ethically hunt. Was a sweaty and disheartening September for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 10-17 couldn't buy a bugle. Rest of September heard bugles most every day and multiple bull's most days.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
was calling for friends in September played with a bull Labor Day weekend for two hours, then mid September called in a rag horn for a buddy to 20 yds was not big enough took photos and videos and walked away with him still bugling🤣 then scouted October 8th for My tag and got two to answer…opening day of rifle called in a small five point who bugled all day🤣 not big enough his lucky day… day 2 10\11 got this guy bugling at 9am and played with him till 11:15 my kind of frontal shot at 42 yds🤙 From what I saw and my 42 yrs experience in north Idaho a lot of raghorm bulls, things are recovering from wolf numbers at an all time high…this changes the bugling dynamic….some pockets held ok numbers others dead ☠️ zones…if wolf mgt can continue at current pace things will be looking much better in another 5 yrs crossing my fingers🥰🤙

Attachments

• BFFDB7E3-DCB5-43A8-B57D-071DD6D022AC.jpeg
    BFFDB7E3-DCB5-43A8-B57D-071DD6D022AC.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 76
  • 378F4CB7-82A7-4C4C-BEF4-D2407EF0633E.jpeg
    378F4CB7-82A7-4C4C-BEF4-D2407EF0633E.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 75
  • D10E43EB-8CBF-4F03-B330-D7AD25A82C3F.jpeg
    D10E43EB-8CBF-4F03-B330-D7AD25A82C3F.jpeg
    664.9 KB · Views: 75
OP
Wild_Aber

Wild_Aber

FNG
It sounds like allot of people had pretty similar experiences. When my brother shot his bull it did a crappy little bugle but they could just barely hear it from 200 yards away. Never heard any bugles in October either. We did hear cows talk a few times but no bulls. The muzzleloader season has been fun but have not got into bulls yet. Seen cows three times now. Anyone finding any bachelor groups groups out there.

OP
Wild_Aber

Wild_Aber

FNG
Does any else feel like there are just some elk you run in to that just like to talk? Maybe comparing them to personalities we know where some people won't shut up, some will chime in here and there some you have to say the right phrase to get them excited. I do feel like there may be types and you have to work to find them. Also areas are like neighborhoods where some everyone talks to each other and others they tend to keep to themselves. Just different thoughts and ideas to try to keep moving forward and staying positive.