thanks for add!! My son and I will be hunting unit 56 in wyoming

This is my first Elk hunt since I moved to Moorhead MN from Sheridan 5 years ago and my 15 year old sons first elk hunt ever. We plan on backpacking in about 5miles and hunting from there. I have been looking at Garmin in reach just looking for opinions . Is there another brand someone recommends?

mulecreek

FNG
This is my first Elk hunt since I moved to Moorhead MN from Sheridan 5 years ago and my 15 year old sons first elk hunt ever. We plan on backpacking in about 5miles and hunting from there. I have been looking at Garmin in reach just looking for opinions . Is there another brand someone recommends?
Unit 56? Do you have Gen tags or Type 1 tags? If Type 1 that is going to be one cold ass back pack camp. If Gen tags, you guys are in for a heck of an adventure. Also 5 miles from the just about any trailhead in 56 puts you in Wilderness. Sounds like you are both NR's, if so do you have a guide?

OP
M
no guide we plan to hunt the north fork of the Shoshone river by pagoda trail not in the wilderness

mntnguide

WKR
How do you plan on getting an elk out backpacking 5 miles in that country without a grizzly getting it? Not trying to be rude, but quite honestly i don't think you are realizing the number of bears in that region along with how rugged the country is. Google earth does it no justice. I wouldn't hunt that unit without horses personally because if you can't get an elk out in 1 haul, there is a very high chance you will return to bear problems. And you better figure out a bear fence set up for your camp, or you will wish you did.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
That unit will kick your ass, I hope you both are in good shape. Father in law killed a bull there about 5 years ago.

But I don't understand - the wilderness area boundary is only like 4 miles from the end of rd 414. 5 miles in is pretty much above treeline where the elk won't be. And in the wilderness where you can't be.

Have you been to the area? Us locals call it the "horse forest" for a reason. Hunting there without a horse? Stay within 1.5 miles of the truck. Those hills are STRAIGHT up and down, nasty stuff. 1,000 ft of elevation change per mile. Not to mention the grizz. You better have that thing packed out in a few hours.

I'll help you pack out if you get in a pinch but you'd be better off staying close to the rig. The elk aren't that high up or that far in.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Garmin Inreach is a great tool. It can be a bit finicky when first turned on as it may take a few minutes for it to acquire satellites. Some days are better than others.

I love my Inreach for communicating. But not for navigating. For that it’s Onx Maps on the phone or a Garmin Montana 650 gps.