PEAX Solitude 4 Tipi Review ***Updated 8/1/23***

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
This spring I've been field testing the Solitude 4 tipi from Peax Equipment. It's a single pole / single wall shelter with a stove jack, two doors, ten stake loops, ten guy-out points, and an optional floor. As a new shelter to the market it has generated a few questions in the Sleep Systems forum. With a little more use I should have a plenty of nights out to answer most questions and write a solid review. Here are a few of the features that stand out so far.

***Update*** PEAX Solitude 4 Tipi Review

thumbnail_IMG_6831.jpg

The optional clip-in floor is a great addition and can be used to optimize the pitch layout.

thumbnail_IMG_6871.jpg

There is a gear loft included with the shelter with attachment points to add a second.

thumbnail_IMG_6821.jpg

The double doors with two-way zippers are great for added ventilation and are great for access.

thumbnail_IMG_6857.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6874.jpg

As the field testing continues, please use this thread for discussion, questions, and things you'd like to see covered in the review.

-Josh Boyd

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the floor worth the upgrade compared to a ground cloth?
On the stove side of the floor, does it have a side wall or is it flat?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the floor worth the upgrade compared to a ground cloth?
On the stove side of the floor, does it have a side wall or is it flat?
I've been sleeping on some wet ground this spring and the floor has helped keep the condensation minimized. If you are planning on using it a lot in similar conditions it could be worth it.

Both ends of the floor that face the doors are flat. The opposing sides have a short bathtub style wall.

nick2021

FNG
just got one myself and actually set it up last night.....plan on using in Alaska. I would have liked to have seen an option for a net insert when a stove isn't used....otherwise, nice tent.

I just picked up a floorless shelter. Honestly, what's it like if you're in high country, not a ton of bugs, but surely some creepy crawlies? Going to spend my first night in it in July, just curious.

nick2021

FNG
Getting a teepee bug net to see how it works from another manufacturer. Can share results later
I just picked up a floorless shelter. Honestly, what's it like if you're in high country, not a ton of bugs, but surely some creepy crawlies? Going to spend my first night in it in July, just curious.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is something I never think about where and when I use a floorless shelter.

nick2021

FNG
Did you get the new argali stove? I have the same setup and am waiting for argali to titanium wood stove to ship. Really like the tent so far and can’t wait to see it with the stove setup for my alaska hunt this year.
Pulled the trigger on the solitude.
Set it up in the yard today. Easy set up. It’s my first hot tent. Look forward to giving it a go with the argali stove this fall in Montana.

Does anyone know if Peax has intentions of making a nest for the shelter?

Nick2021 - can you share an update on the nest you bought?

Tagging in, I’m planning on doing some back country stuff this season and having a packable tent stove is super appealing to me.

You guys that have this shelter already, how does the cross brace idea work ? I looked at their site and think it uses a set of trekking poles, is that right ? Maybe someone could post a picture.

nick2021

FNG
So I tried this meeting I got from Amazon. Was a tad bit big, but with some fine tuning, should work. I’d assume if I am using netting during warmer weather, probably won’t be using the stove. A smaller one may provide a better fit, but at least this gives you some things to work with.
Does anyone know if Peax has intentions of making a nest for the shelter?

Nick2021 - can you share an update on the nest you bought?

Attachments

• IMG_6384.jpeg
    IMG_6384.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6383.jpeg
    IMG_6383.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6385.jpeg
    IMG_6385.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 37