Testing advice - Hammer 131's for my 7mm-08

I picked up a sample pack (15) of Hammer 131's for my 7mm-08, along with a pound of Varget.

Typically I'd start with one load at 2 grains below max and work up in 0.3 grain increments watching for pressure signs.

Other folks will load 5 3-shot loads from a few grains below max to just over max looking both for pressure signs and group size.

I've seen a post from someone with Hammer bullets that said he was running 46 grains of Varget under his 131's! (Hodgdon's published max for Varget and 130-class bullets is 43.5 grains).

Where and how would you start?

With only 15 shots a good ladder test may be your best bet. Then order another 15 to try in the node you find. I don’t think you can reliably find a good load in 15 shots unless you get really lucky.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
With only 15 shots a good ladder test may be your best bet. Then order another 15 to try in the node you find. I don’t think you can reliably find a good load in 15 shots unless you get really lucky.
That's kinda what I was thinking. 10-shot ladder then see what I need to do with the last 5.

I did a similar ladder test with the Hammers in my 280ai, I loaded every .2 until I hit pressure then dropped back a full grain to the nearest node. Worked like a charm. Loading in .3 or .4 increments might be better since you only have 15 to work with. I’d maybe do a 9 shot ladder test starting at 42 and then have 6 bullets left for two 3 round groups.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I did a similar ladder test with the Hammers in my 280ai, I loaded every .2 until I hit pressure then dropped back a full grain to the nearest node. Worked like a charm. Loading in .3 or .4 increments might be better since you only have 15 to work with. I’d maybe do a 9 shot ladder test starting at 42 and then have 6 bullets left for two 3 round groups.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

wyosam

WKR
Everything I have loaded them for has been super easy to develop. Quick ladder to look for pressure (I have yet to find any signs working up to max for a similar weighted Barnes). I look for flat spots in velocity while doing that, and also see where they all hit for same point of aim. Generally from there I am able to pick a charge or two to shoot for group and SD. Honestly, in my experience you could just get to the velocity you want and go hunting. They are very forgiving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Gotta give the Hammer bullets credit. I started at 42 grains and worked up to 44.1 grains of Varget with the 131's, and the entire group was still under 1.5"

Still didn't see any pressure signs, so I'm going to creep up to 45 and see what happens.

140 Accubonds gave me a sticky bolt at 43.5 grains, but they still did very well too. But not as good as the Hammers.