Tents in Colorado in Oct/Nov. above 8000'

Dammlm

FNG
I plan on staying at 8000' or above for one of the late season rifle hunts in Colorado this year. I have a Hilleberg Nallo3 GT. I love the tent but have never had it out that late in the year. I have a warm bag and plenty of warm gear. Does not having a stove tent mean the end of the world? Who's done it or who likes to do it?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've slept out on many Oct and Nov hunts before........many with stoves and many without. I hated both. Just too cold even with a stove unless you're going to stoke it every couple hours. That's why I love archery season so much. It's like summer camping.

It's doable, but not for me anymore. Sucks waking up with a sheet of ice covering your sleeping bag every morning.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hilleberg and late season go together like PB&J ;)

If they work for mountaineeering in much colder weather it should be just fine for you.

OP
D

Dammlm

FNG
Good to hear these responses. Sounds like I'm all set. Now just to figure out how to make time fly!

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
Last year during 2nd rifle at 8500 ft, it barely got down to freezing at night......but it could and does get cold in some years.....so I use a -20 degree bag and a neotherm pad and no stove

whitingja

WKR
If it hits 75 during the day then usually it won't be too extreme that night. Common sense really. As long as you check the weather you will know otherwise.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I've had it get down to 10, but would say mid 20's is average. Watch the forecast and you should be good with a quality 3 season tent and a quality 15 degree bag & pad.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
whats an average overnight low for October in Colorado at 10K'?

Depends on the year and location, but I've hunted many seasons where it got down below zero. Heck, 20's are archery season lows lots of times. By late October and definitely November, I always plan for the worst. Once that sun goes down, it gets COLD in the high country.

Just about all my rifle hunting memories in Colorado have something to do with the snow and COLD.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Gotcha....yeah that seems about like Mid-Sept/October here in Alaska. Can get really cold but overnight lows in the 20s are about the norm with temps colder certainly.

wpwarren

FNG
"Average" is tough that time of year I lived at 9000ish feet in CO for 7 1/2 years and average was probably 15 or 20 but I worked outside for ten days straight one year when the lows were colder than 30 below. Watch the forecasts and bring a warm bag and your tent should be just fine. When it is cold I don't think you need a stove as much as when it is just above freezing and raining all day. Wet gear sucks after a few days and it is nice to have a way to dry your gear.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hear that. Average for much of Sept/Oct here in South Central is lows 15-30 degrees. But you can get -20 as well on a cold snap. Was just going for a rough idea. Yeah I would much rather have true temps in the teens than 35-40 rain any day of the week!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The rainy / sleet slop is the worst and I would much rather have real cold.

I usually hunt around 10K and it is usually 20 degrees at night , though it can get colder. I hunted 3rd rifle one year , the first weekend it was nice but was single digits in the basin I was in near tree line, the next weekend it snowed 36 inches, was never over 10 - 15 degrees as a high, and one of the days the wind was pretty much 30 plus all day and that was closer to 8k - 9k. It can get pretty crappy out there, but the 36 inches of snow and high wind is uncommon.

gelton

WKR
I had teens and snow three years in a row during 1st or 2nd rifle in 2 different areas. The first year was around 6K ft during 2nd rifle, had just over a foot of snow and the low was 14 degrees. Second year, 2nd rifle, different part of the state, 12 degrees, light dusting of sleet/snow mix. Third year, first rifle, complete whiteout, almost two feet of snow, 4 degrees for the low.

Never used a stove and the tent I was in isnt a pimple on a Hillebergs ass - as others said you will be fine.

Its what made me take back up archery, especially if solo. Last year the weather during archery was like a frolic in the park. Here are some photos from Colorado Rifle:

Before

After