Tent Help

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve searched and read most of what is here from past inquiries.

Here’s what I’m after:

A floored freestanding tent for packing in Colorado Rifle 2 (1st week November).

I’ve looked at ultra light but am concerned how they’ll handle snow. I like the marmot tungsten ul, the big Agnes ul tents as well.

Would a 5 pound tent absolutely kill
Me vs say a 3.5 pound tent?

FYI my budget is as low as possible. Absolutely nothing over about $500 and prefer half that if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve camped in the c bar 3 in 2nd rifle a couple times. It’s not ideal and when it snows you’ll have to wake up multiple times to knock snow off the tent so it doesn’t collapse. For the price it’s worked for me.

As far as the weight thing it won’t be the tent alone that makes your pack too heavy. It’s only 1.5 lbs more…

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
big Agnes ul tents as well.
You'll be pushing/shaking snow off the sides of the BA tents like the Fly Creek. Owned one for years and if it snows much the sides will push in at the bottom even when guyed out. Wasn't a big deal to me but they'll do it for sure.

Marble

WKR
I’ve searched and read most of what is here from past inquiries.

Here’s what I’m after:

A floored freestanding tent for packing in Colorado Rifle 2 (1st week November).

I’ve looked at ultra light but am concerned how they’ll handle snow. I like the marmot tungsten ul, the big Agnes ul tents as well.

Would a 5 pound tent absolutely kill
Me vs say a 3.5 pound tent?

FYI my budget is as low as possible. Absolutely nothing over about $500 and prefer half that if possible.

I carried a 7 pound tent for 15 years. Not knowing that lighter tents were even available. Most of the time I had it on my horse.

Only you can answer if it's too heavy.

And you can get a great 3 season tent for less than $500.

I use a Big Agnes Tiger UL3. Less than three pounds trail weight. For second season in November, you may consider bringing another cover to put over the top of the shelter. That time of year, and even October, can be absolutely brutal. It can also be really nice.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
The Naturehike Cloud up2 will get you going inexpensively. Amazon.
Has some good reviews and videos where it outperformed some tents that cost 4x as much. Some guys from UK or some place like that did some tests with them in rain, snow and 40+ mph winds and gave it good reviews. About 3.5 lbs IIRC.
I bought one for my scouting trips. Quick set up and tear down. Has worked for my purposes.
I suggest the 2-person model as the 1-person tents usually don't allow much room for clothes/gear. There is only a few ounce difference in this model.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
So I went way out there and ordered a Lanshan 2. I liked the room and weight. Thanks everybody

you can usually find some trees to pitch a tent under to keep alot of the snow off most of your tent. you might get some sap but it is worth the peace of mind to me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Any reason you want a floored shelter for a November hunt? Bugs won't be an issue, and mice can get into a floored shelter just as easily as a floorless.

chadlove

FNG
Alps mountaineering tasmanian 2 is a great 4 season tent for around $250, but it is heavy. Worked great for me, if you only go out for a few days to cut down on food weight.

pirogue

WKR
I would want a floored tent in November, since you’re likely setting up on snow covered ground.