Teaching the basics to grade 9 kids

j_mcrane

FNG
Ok, this may get a bit lengthy so I apologize.

Background: I’m an American who lives and works in/near Calgary Alberta(relevant later). I work as a teacher and I have an opportunity this year to teach outdoor education to some grade 9 students. (Its an actual class here) I’m hoping to start a very basic unit on hunting by mid oct. we are finishing our unit on backpacking and hiking right now.

Question 1: we will do a comparison between gear needed for hiking and hunting. I’m trying to come up with a list of gear they will need (no biggie, lots here)but, if they had no experience and had to start at nothing, what to buy first. For example: first buy ____, _____, & ______. Then buy _____ & _____ next. That way a kid with no background could have an outline to start collecting over the next couple of years. So I’m looking for a prioritized list (not brand specific nor prey specific) Like I would say the bag as one of the last things based on the other gear you have. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Question2:
I will have 5-6, (1 hour periods). This is not a hunters ed class. This is an overview. What 5-6 topics would you teach? Like the gear question above will be 1 full day. ( 1 day intro, 1 day for optics) Remember, I’m still operating out of a classroom.

Finally for other Canadians:
When I moved here a few ago, I packed up everything hunting/shooting related and left it at my family’s ranch in Texas. Every last piece of gear all the way down to my boar snakes. I say that explain that I’m in the process of purchasing all new gear myself. I don’t have really a lot I can bring to show and tell. If you have a crappy old piece of gear/optic ( cheap Tasso scope, ect) that is laying around and feel like donating, I could use it. I want kids to be able to look through a scope(unattached of course) and see what it’s like and put their hands on things.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rob86jeep

WKR
Honestly, no gear is really needed other then your method of take (rifle, bow, etc.) and a license/tag. It might be fun to bring some things in for show and tell but putting out a gear list might put some of them off as they can't afford any gear right now. It will also be depended on what species they're hunting and how they're hunting. Not everybody is a backpack hunter and rarely anybody starts backpack hunting first. To answer your first question, there's no difference in what gear is needed while hiking vs hunting other than a a weapon.

I would focus on ethics, conservation, and bushcraft skills as they are all very important any time you're in the woods whether hunting or not. Also, ethics and conservation can probably be considered educational topics already and bushcraft can help them survive during an emergency so you won't have any pushback from faculty or parents that aren't hunters.

If there is a shop teacher at the school, ask if they can make a dummy rifle stock for you to mount a scope on so the kids can shoulder it.

I wouldn't have an order for buying gear, but a bullet point list of minimum gear to acquire when you find a good deal. The gear varies depending on the conditions.

• Appropriate boots, clothes, element protection for conditions
  • Pack
  • Hydration system and backup water purification method
  • First aid kit focused on treating small issues to keep you in the field and stem life threatening trauma to keep you alive until you can get help; come out for treatment of medium issues like needing stitches, broken tooth, 2nd/3rd degree burn, etc.
  • Navigation systems and backups including lights of some sort. I keep a whistle attached to my compass
  • Fire starting equipment and backup
  • Toilet paper and hand sanitizer
  • Safety orange hat and vest/shirt/jacket
  • Weapon system and small kit for field fixable issues
  • Kill kit to take care of game, keep meat clean
  • Licenses/permits/tags/hunter safety card...
Only the last four are specific to hunting.

Not necessary but nice to have; high end gear/pack, binos, game calls, merino socks and base layers, camouflage, trekking poles, puffy jacket, two way radio/sat coms, sitting pad, backpacking stove and pot, lightweight backpacking tent with titanium wood burning stove, light sleeping bag/quilt, light sleeping pad, llamas/horses/goats/sherpa, hunting partner, 4x4 lifted truck, ATV, snowmobile, boat...

Make sure you cover where to hunt, public vs private, how to get permissions including looking respectable and being polite, how to obtain licenses, how to scout from a computer and in the field and getting info by contacting biologists.

Also cover going to the bathroom in the field.

Jimbob

WKR
Do you teach in a public school? Did you get the green light from your principal? Bringing a rifle scope to school might get you in trouble. My friend in high school was suspended because he grabbed a gun prop from drama class and carried it around on Halloween when he was dressed up as an "army man". I wish you the best of luck and I hope it goes well for you as far as the political side of it.

I would focus on optics/finding animals (bino's and spotting scope), meat care (cleaning, transporting, and butchering), conservation, and ethics.

I taught outdoor ed and really focused on bushcraft skills. I also did a moose hunt for the last three years I was at that school. Three moose hunts and three young men got their first moose. I taught at a Native school so we did not have to deal with tags and licenses etc. At my new school, I don't know if I will ever be able to do a hunting trip, so much to come together when tags are needed.

OP
J

j_mcrane

FNG
I’m not touching anything weapon related. Too risky.

Maybe I’ll just stick to calmer waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Seems too gear focused already. Any chance of getting outside and doing things? IMO teaching a class and leading with “buy this stuff” is the wrong approach.

Archery intro
(Fly) fishing intro
Animal ID/tracking/scat
“How to load and adjust your pack”
How to sharpen a knife
Tree/plant ID
Picking a campsite
Pitch a tent
Build a fire
Camping safely in bear country
Compass use
How to signal/call for help