Tarptent Scarp Users

I'm seriously considering a TT Scarp 1 for solo hunting SEP-NOV in MT. Looked at a ton of reviews in the hunting world as well as hiking (especially in the UK).

If I purchase, it'll be the 2022 model, solid interior, with cross poles (though depending on the hunt the cross pole may or may not go along).

If one didn't use the cross poles, must the fly be guyed out with trekking poles? Haven't found an answer to that question.

Also, what else should a new user need to know about the Scarp 1?

Just trying to fill in what i don't know about the product.

Yes, there's lighter, bigger, different options, but I keep coming back to this model as the best balance for my use.

Thanks for the input.

I’m not exactly sure what they changed in 2022 but I use a scarp 1 for hunting trips. I have the solid interior and condensation is only an issue if you pitch the fly tight to the ground. I never pack the crossing poles when backpacking and the tent has always made it through the thunderstorms and snows that I have been in. I did buy them, but they are heavy and just couldn’t talk myself into taking them with. They might be worth it if you are expecting a lot of snow, otherwise I wouldn’t even buy the crossing poles. Very easy tent to set up fast. 4-6 stakes is all it needs to be sturdy.

OP
insanelupus
@NDhunter88

That was the type of info I was hoping to receive, thank you.

Do you use your trekking poles along with the 4-6 stakes? I'm trying to figure out how sturdy it would be for light snows and heavier rain storms, or moderate wind, on overnights while back packing, and if the trekking poles are a must if you don't use the crossing poles to keep the fly off the tent body.

I believe one of the 2022 changes was minor, but the addition of a cord lock at the apex of the tent where the crossing pools cross over the hoop pole.

Thank you again.

Trekking poles are not required at all. It should hold up to wind, rain and lighter snows with just the single arch pole, and corner trusses. Pitch it tight and stake it good, and you shouldn’t have problems. Very well designed tent, and I have never needed more tent in bad weather yet.