Tarptent Scarp 1

slowelk

WKR
I just bought a scarp 1 with a solid inner as a light but robust 3.5 season tent - is there any reason I should regret the money that just left my pocket? The tent hasn't changed since 2016, and it isn't floorless, so there isn't much on the forum about it, but reviews from the backpacking world are all pretty good.

Some features that I like are the adjustable width floor, double vestibules, the options for ventilation, and alleged ease of setup.

I'll post updates with photos as I use it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can run it floorless if you want to, just unclip the inner tent and use the fly setup. Did you get the crossing poles as well?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
bomber tent. The center pole is robust, the 5 poles built in on each end are robust and it handles condensation excellent. Run either your trekking poles off the center guy out point at night for additional support and the crossing poles are hardly necessary. DSC00147.JPG

Blackcow

WKR
I cant speak to the scarp 1, but I've had the moment and moment dw for years with no problems. They make a great tent. And as was said, if you want to run it w/o the inner you can. I've been looking at a scarp or bowfin for a little more space tho.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
You can run it floorless if you want to, just unclip the inner tent and use the fly setup. Did you get the crossing poles as well?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No cross poles. If conditions require it, I'll utilize my trekking poles for extra support like ndbuck09 showed.

Ndbuck - is it as livable as it looks for a solo shelter?

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
First update. Received the tent last night and with everything included, it weighs 4.6oz less than the stated weight of 55.5oz. I will setup this weekend to seam-seal, and include more photos at that time.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 26

rfc86

FNG
I cant speak to the scarp 1, but I've had the moment and moment dw for years with no problems. They make a great tent. And as was said, if you want to run it w/o the inner you can. I've been looking at a scarp or bowfin for a little more space tho.

+1 on the Moment DW. Super easy to setup.

ndbuck09

WKR
It is extremely livable, it's really wide inside the nest. You'll definitely want to make at least one of the vestibules bigger with their adjustment slider as you'll have plenty of room inside. You can sit up fine, you can party fine and you can groove fine in there. I personally never had 2 vestibules for 1 person before so it feels like a castle. I run this tent in any solo mission where there's going to be a lot of weather or really cold temps. In cold temps, it definitely holds your heat in making it a bit warmer than outside. I run an older thermarest neo air, the rectangular one from 2011. Its the large version and it fits in the tent with a lot of room to spare.

This is my cold/bad weather solo tent and I'm going to get the Notch Li for my october elk hunts...my buddies and I run solo tents because we sleep better separated like that.

I have previously owned a Tarptent SS1 and loved it. I am looking at the Scarp 1, Rainbow, Double Rainbow, bowfin 1 S. The Scarp seems like a good bet for just having one tent. Its a bit heavier, but I like the interior space and double wall.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
My follow-through on my promised review has been bad. I have not spent a night in this tent yet as I've been using my stratospire 2 for backpacking trips this summer. That said, I have had it up in the yard with all the gear I'd have in the field and I run one side of the floor expanded, and the other collapsed and it's very spacious for gear and yourself.

I bought this tent prior to the 2019 redesign, it looks like they added more ventilation.