Tarptent Protrail - gear fit inside?

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Im contemplating getting the Protrail, but am concerned with getting pack, bow, boots, etc inside the tent. Ive read alot about the tent, but cant find any info on guys talking about getting gear inside. Anyone have experience with this tent?

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have the previous generation which was called the Contrail (same floor design/specs). You without a doubt could fit the pack and boots in the tent....as for the bow you'd have to slide your sleeping system most likely to one side and your sleeping bag would hit the angled walls. Not an issue on a double wall shelter but more so on a single wall.
Suggestion: email Henry Shires (TarpTent) about your application and questions and he'll most likely get back with you within a day. Great customer service.

Pro953

WKR
It’s far from what I would call “roomy” but you will have plenty of space to tuck in your pack,
footwear etc. depending on how you pitch and where you camp you can have a bit of room at the entrance for your bow as well. A bit of a hassle for the midnight pee, but otherwise works great. I keep looking at better alternatives but for the ease of pitch, weight and comfort of a ultralight floored shelter, it’s really tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
If you want a tent with gob of room and usable floor space take a look at Hilliberg Nallo GT. The vestibule is huge and fantastic for cooking, storing gear, drying clothes, etc! The walls are also nearly vertical so floor space is optimized. When I want to pack ultra-light I merely use just the fly by itself with painters plastic floor. Being a 4 season tent the fly used by itself is pretty much bomberproof. I've used the fly alone in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo in severe wind, rain, and fairly deep snow. When it's super wet or snowy the fly, inner tent, plus footprint are pretty much indestructible.

The Tarptents are fine but if you want room I'd suggest taking a look at a Nallo GT or possibly an Anjan GT if you want to go a little lighter weight. Believe me, the fly used alone on a Hilleberg is bomberproof and super light!

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the TarpTents the solo shelter that has the most room is the Rainbow. Though heavier than the Protrail, it has considerably more room.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the TarpTents the solo shelter that has the most room is the Rainbow. Though heavier than the Protrail, it has considerably more room.
I like the rainbow, side entry, currently showing out of stock.

Tarptent said they will have more rainbows in stock late May. I'm concerned with how well it will handle wind though since its only got one pole vs two poles.